ESPN Network: | |  ABCSports |  EXPN |  INSIDER  |  FANTASY

Whitley to miss Citrus Bowl
Associated Press

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- University of Michigan football captain and cornerback James Whitley has been dismissed from the 16th-ranked Wolverines after his arrest on a concealed weapon charge.

Whitley was arraigned Thursday afternoon. He was freed on a $10,000 personal bond until a preliminary examination Dec. 27 in a Washtenaw County court.

The 21-year-old was arrested Thursday morning on the charge, a five-year felony, Ann Arbor police said.

"Whitley was kicked off the team, and I support that decision by (Coach Lloyd Carr)," Michigan athletic director Bill Martin said Thursday afternoon.

Whitley is a four-year letterman and a three-year starter. He is fifth on the team in tackles this season and has one interception.

He would have had his last opportunity to play this season on New Year's Day when Michigan plays in the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla.

The university issued a statement saying Carr "has announced that Whitley has been dismissed from the football team, effective immediately. The university will continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding this incident."

Ann Arbor police Sgt. Michael Logghe told The Ann Arbor News that a woman reported her apartment being broken into by her ex-boyfriend at 4 a.m. Thursday. Officers stopped two men as they walked away from the apartment, he said.

They later were identified as Whitley and another Michigan football player who was not arrested or charged. Officers found a loaded handgun inside Whitley's jacket pocket, Logghe said.

Martin said Carr would determine if disciplinary action was appropriate against the other football player.

Whitley told police that his teammate asked him to come to his ex-girlfriend's apartment, and he thought there could be trouble so he brought the gun, Logghe said.

The other Michigan player told police he thought his ex-girlfriend was having a problem with her current boyfriend, so he went over to mediate the matter, police said. The player said he meant no harm to the new boyfriend and he decided to leave when she did not answer the door.

The 19-year-old Michigan student said she ended the relationship with the football player two years ago. She said he called her Thursday morning and asked to speak to her new boyfriend, then showed up at her apartment 30 minutes later, Logghe said.

Martin said there is no uniform disciplinary policy dictating what action is to be taken when athletes run into trouble with law enforcement agents.

"In every situation, you've got to look at the facts and make a judgment on them," he said.