Irons' autopsy results delayed

Andy Irons, 1978-2010 Kirston Scholz/Getty Images

The mystery surrounding the death of three-time world surfing champion Andy Irons continues after a Tarrant County, Texas, judge postponed the release of the results of Irons' autopsy for a second time. Results are now set to be made available to the public on June 20, 2011.

Irons was en route home from an ASP event in Puerto Rico when he was found dead in an airport hotel room on November 2, 2010 at the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport. Initial reports pointed to Irons suffering from an acute case of dengue fever. Shortly after, in December, Irons' wife filed a court injunction postponing the results of the autopsy. That injunction was originally set to expire on May 20, 2011.

According to a statement released by the family of Andy Irons on May 20, "Contrary to what was stated in a May 19 email sent out by Tarrant County Assistant District Attorney Ashley Fourt to members of the media, the Irons family did not request the extension of a motion to block the release of the autopsy results for Andy Irons due to be released by the Tarrant County Medical Examiner today."

The Irons family continued to say, "A lawyer in Dallas, operating without authorization from the Irons family, made a unilateral decision to request a delay on behalf of the family as a way to provide sufficient time for the 10-page toxicology report to be translated into laymen's terms and prevent the risk of its being misconstrued or misunderstood. Additionally, his intentions were to provide the family a moment to accept the final cause of Andy's death."

Because of the new injunction, and earlier reports that the Irons family requested the extension, the media was led to speculate on the intentions of the Irons family.

"Unfortunately, this delay has now caused a firestorm of media speculation about the intentions of Andy's family. We would like the media and public to know that we have been anticipating the results for six months and were prepared to greet the release of this information with honesty and forthrightness," said the Irons family.

The Irons family added that Andy's sponsors, including Billabong, played no part in the extension and are not trying to protect his image or earnings.

"The family is still anxiously awaiting the results of the autopsy and toxicology report and will comment further, and with all due honesty, once it is provided to us," concluded the Irons family.

Rumors continue to swirl around Irons death. Some point to dengue fever, others point to heavy prescription drug use, while other allegations are still darker and more ominous. If the truth truly does set one free, maybe Irons will finally be able to rest in peace after June 20.