- Andrea Adelson, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
Not much has changed in this week’s power rankings. Here they are for Week 12:
1. Boise State (9-0). The Broncos easily beat Idaho 52-14 in the final scheduled game between the in-state rivals. They are making things look easy against their WAC opponents, but face big tests in the next two weeks: home against Fresno State and at No. 18 Nevada on Nov. 26.
2. TCU (11-0). The Horned Frogs had a bad weekend. First, Utah got embarrassed 28-3 at Notre Dame. Then TCU had its closest game of the season in a 40-35 win over San Diego State. The Aztecs are one of the most improved teams in college football this year, but the double whammy hurt TCU. The Horned Frogs dropped in the coaches, AP and Harris polls and saw their lead over Boise State get cut in the BCS standings.
3. Nevada (9-1). Colin Kaepernick came through once again in a tough 35-34 win at Fresno State. The Wolf Pack defense looked shaky, giving up more than 200 yards to Robbie Rouse on the ground. Kaepernick set the school record with the 54th touchdown of his career. Their only loss came at Hawaii, when Kaepernick had four turnovers.
4. Utah (8-2). The Utes have lost two in a row in embarrassing fashion, having been outscored 75-10 to TCU and Notre Dame. They looked completely flat and out of it in South Bend, and they are going to have to get right in a hurry. They play at San Diego State on Saturday.
5. Northern Illinois (8-2). The Huskies have won seven straight, and easily dispatched division rival Toledo 65-30 last Tuesday. With one more win, they clinch a spot in the MAC championship game.
6. San Diego State (7-3). Hard to penalize the Aztecs for playing a heck of a game against TCU and nearly pulling it out. They led 14-0 early and then made a late comeback before coming up short. Vincent Brown had four catches for 167 yards and two touchdowns in the close loss.
7. Temple (8-2). The Owls close with the two teams that are tied with them atop the MAC East -- they host Ohio on Tuesday and play at Miami (Ohio) to end the season.
8. Hawaii (7-3). The Warriors had the week off following their worst offensive performance in 12 years in a loss to Boise State. They host San Jose State this week with their sights on a 10-win season. New Mexico State and UNLV remain on the schedule.
9. Southern Miss (7-3). The Golden Eagles have been completely inconsistent this season, but get major credit for going to Orlando and beating the newly ranked UCF Knights 31-21. Austin Davis threw for four touchdown passes in the game. Now they are dealing with something bigger than football after three players were shot following a fight at a club. They are in fair condition.
10. UCF (7-3). The Knights blew the opportunity they got with the first ranking in school history in a loss to Southern Miss. But if they win out, they get to host the Conference USA championship game.
Dropped out: Fresno State.
Not much has changed in this week’s power rankings. Here they are for Week 12:1. Boise State (9-0). The Broncos easily beat Idaho 52-14 in the final scheduled game between the in-state rivals.