ACC's lunchtime links
August, 12, 2010
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Is it Labor Day yet?
- There was one benefit to missing a bowl game for Maryland -- it allowed running back Da'Rel Scott to work on his speed with the track team.
- Will the ACC catch up to the SEC in defense this year?
- Every position is open at BC. That's life.
- There are plenty of starting jobs up for grabs at Wake Forest, too.
- BC offensive lineman Anthony Castonzo has a full plate this year if he wants to attain both an ACC title and a Rhodes Scholarship.
- Kyle Parker's layoff from football hasn't been noticeable at camp.
- Virginia offensive lineman B.J. Cabbell is in the spotlight now whether he likes it or not.
- Rodney Smith could help the Seminoles out at receiver, and running back Jermaine Thomas needs to be a better pass blocker if he wants his starting job back.
- Virginia Tech added an offensive lineman to its class.
- Virginia's switch to a 4-3 defense has players changing positions.
- NC State coach Tom O'Brien is changing his practice routine, starting at 8 a.m., which sounds like a good idea.
- It sounds like Seantrel Henderson is a real student of the game.
- Duke coach David Cutcliffe is a funny guy. Here's one of my favorite quotes of the week, as Cutcliffe is talking to the Winston-Salem Journal about putting the pads on Friday:
"Football can fool you in a hurry in shorts," Cutcliffe said. "I've seen some ‘shorts' All-Americans. Lord have mercy. And then when you put the pads on, they disappear like the Wicked Witch in the Wizard of Oz."
Final 7 UCLA 28 Virginia 20 Final Delaware 0 Pittsburgh 62 Final Wofford 19 Georgia Tech 38 Final Georgia Southern 23 North Carolina State 24 Final Boston College 30 Massachusetts 7 Final William & Mary 9 Virginia Tech 34 Final 16 Clemson 21 12 Georgia 45 Final Elon 13 Duke 52 Final Liberty 29 23 North Carolina 56 Final 1 Florida State 37 Oklahoma State 31