Hokie hotline: injury report
Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich
There are some coaches (Ralph Friedgen) who think giving out injury information is a competitive advantage. In some cases, maybe it is.
Frank Beamer apparently isn't too hung up on that notion.
Remember the new injury release policy the coaches agreed to this season?
Well, Virginia Tech is taking it one step further.
I'm calling the Hokie hotline this season.
Head athletic trainer Mike Goforth couldn't be more accommodating. They've got a number to call (no, I'm not giving it to you) and Goforth will have an injury report -- if there needs to be one -- and a quote about it.
Goforth and his staff will also still be available to talk to during the open portions of practice and immediately following practice to discuss other issues, including rehabilitation methods or other general inquiries, and answer questions as long as they do not pertain to playing status.
Ask almost any reporter and they'll tell you that's just plain nice.
Goforth had the first hotline up at 4 p.m. Thursday in anticipation of Monday's first practice.
Of course I called it:
- Aaron Brown currently has a shoulder injury and will not be able to participate in the first part of summer camp. He will be evaluated by Dr. Marc Siegel and we will release further information at a later date.
- Sam Wheeler will be returning from a knee injury from last football season. He will start out in blue [jersey indicating limited contact] until he gets a re-evaluation by Dr. Marc Siegel. This should happen in the first day or two of practice and we anticipate him being cleared for the season.
- Jahre Cheeseman is cleared following last year's fibula fracture that occurred during the spring.
- Kenny Lewis is cleared following last year's offseason shoulder surgery.
- Brandon Dillard is out for the year with an Achilles rupture and a repair by Dr. Siegel.
- Kwamaine Battle is cleared following offseason shoulder surgery.
- Clark Crum will be out the first couple days of practice and more will be released on that at a later date.
Now, see, when a program goes so far out of its way to help me get the news to you, there is absolutely no problem following this rule:
As always, injuries at practice can not be reported on in live chats, blogs or reported in any form until the end of practice when Goforth releases the information, either in person to the media, or on the hotline.
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
Final Cincinnati 17 Virginia Tech 33 Final 15 Arizona State 36 Duke 31 Final Miami (FL) 21 South Carolina 24 Final/OT Boston College 30 Penn State 31 Final Nebraska 42 24 USC 45
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State