ACC and the NFL draft notes
April, 27, 2011
By Heather Dinich | ESPN.com
A few selected notes for you from the league office on the ACC and the NFL draft:
- If an ACC player is selected among the top 10 players in this year’s NFL draft, the ACC will be the only conference in the nation to have had a top 10 selection in each of the past six years.
- Since 2006, the ACC has had 179 former players selected in the NFL draft. Only the SEC (208) has had more.
- Since 2006, the ACC has had 34 first-round NFL draft selections. Only the SEC has had more (36).
- Miami has had at least one player chosen in every NFL draft since 1974, a string of 36 consecutive years. Virginia and Florida State have each had a player chosen in every NFL draft since 1983, a span of 27 straight years.
- In three of the past four years, the ACC has produced the first wide receiver taken in the NFL draft. Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson was the first wide receiver chosen in 2007, Maryland's Darrius Heyward-Bey in 2009 and Georgia Tech's Demaryius Thomas last year.
- Only the SEC (269) had more alumni on active rosters in the NFL in 2010 than the ACC (229).