Milestones to watch in ACC title game
December, 1, 2011
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
There are several players for both Virginia Tech and Clemson who are in reach of some notable milestones, which can be accomplished in Saturday's Dr Pepper ACC championship game. We'll look at a few for each team, starting with Clemson:
- One touchdown to become fifth Clemson team to score 50 touchdowns in a season.
- 220 yards passing to set school record for passing yards in a season.
- 197 yards of total offense for school record for total offense yards in a season.
- 500 yards to set school record for games with 500 yards in a season. Clemson has four this year so far.
- 400 yards to tie Clemson record for 400-yard total offense games in a season. This team has eight and record is nine set in 2003.
- One receiving touchdown to tie Bennie Cunningham’s record for touchdown receptions in a season by a tight end. Cunningham had seven in 1974 and Allen has six so far this year.
- One win to tie school record for wins by a starting quarterback in his first year as a starter. Chris Morocco (1989) and DeChane Cameron (1990) had 10 apiece in those seasons.
- 143 yards of total offense to break Woody Dantzler’s season record of 3,639 set in 2001.
- 218 passing yards to break Charlie Whitehurst’s single season passing yardage mark of 3561 set in 2003.
- Two touchdown receptions to break Aaron Kelly’s touchdown reception record in a season. Kelly had 11 in 2007 and Watkins has 10.
- 12 reception yards to break Rod Gardner’s single season record of 1,084 set in 1999. Watkins has 1073 entering this week’s game.
- One 100-yard receiving game to tie Tony Horne’s season record for 100-yard receiving games. Watkins has five and Tony Horne had six in 1997.
- Two touchdowns of any kind to break C.J. Spiller’s Clemson freshman record for touchdowns scored. Spiller had 12 in 2006 and Watkins has 11 so far.
- 80 all-purpose yards to become just the second Clemson player with 2000 all-purpose yards in a season. Spiller is the only other player to do it with an ACC record 2,680 in 2009.
- A win to: becomes the first team to win the ACC title game four times, set a school record with 12 wins, and have the winningest senior class in school history with 33 wins.
- 61 yards to set a new school record for rushing yards in a season. He currently has 1,595.
- Two catches to break the Tech season record for pass receptions held by Ernest Wilford (55 in 2003).
- 127 more yards to become just the fourth player in ACC history to have three seasons with 800 receiving yards.
- Six catches to break the record of 55 set by Wilford.
Tweets from https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/lists/acc