- Andrea Adelson, College Football
- 0 Shares
Heather dazzled you all earlier today with her five bold predictions for 2013.
So that got us thinking -- how did I do with my 2012 ACC preseason predictions? If I played baseball, I would win the hitting crown! But this is football, so ... see for yourself.
1. Florida State will win the ACC. Ding-ding! Florida State was the preseason favorite to win the league, so it's not as if I went out on a limb here. But I still get credit, especially since the Noles have had a history of failing to live up to preseason expectations.
2. The ACC will win its BCS game. 2-for-2! On a roll!
3. Travis Blanks will be freshman of the year. Did I write Travis Blanks? Ha ha, silly me! I meant Miami running back Duke Johnson! Blanks did play as a true freshman, starting eight games and finishing with 51 tackles for Clemson. But Johnson was dynamic with 2,070 all-purpose yards.
4. Maryland will be better this year. I was looking really smart with this prediction when the Terps were sitting 4-2. But then they were forced to go with their 105th string quarterback and the season went downhill. Still, four wins are better than two wins, so count this for AA!
5. Miami will be better than expected. Boom! Miami was picked to finish fifth in the Coastal in the preseason. Instead, the Canes finished at the top of the division and would have gone to the ACC title game had they not self-imposed sanctions. Note: in this write-up, I mentioned Johnson. Classic mix-up! Should have had him in the freshman of the year category!
6. Perry Jones will rush for 1,000 yards. Well, it certainly appeared that way in the preseason, with a returning starter at quarterback and some excellent returning offensive tackles as well. But the Hoos could never get their running game going consistently, and Jones finished with just 463 yards and two touchdowns while sharing time in the backfield.
7. The ACC will have five teams ranked at some point this season. Uh ... umm ... way overvalued Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and NC State, along with just about everybody else out there. Head-scratching year to say the least when only two ACC teams end the season ranked.
8. Boston College will struggle. Again, not going out on a limb with this prediction, but I had a feeling this would be its worst season in years. The Eagles only won two games and Frank Spaziani was fired.
9. Rookie running back attack. Not so much. Johnson was the only one in the group of freshmen backs I mentioned who actually did well. The others? J.C. Coleman (492 yards), Wes Brown (382 yards), Albert Reid (92 yards, injured), Jela Duncan (553 yards) and Shaquille Powell (93 yards, position switch to safety) played but were not ACC standouts.
10. Brandon Jenkins and Bjoern Werner will get 20 sacks combined. Half credit. Why? Jenkins' replacement, Tank Carradine, combined with Werner for 24 total sacks. Huge testament to the depth the Noles have at that position.
Heather dazzled you all earlier today with her five bold predictions for 2013.So that got us thinking -- how did I do with my 2012 ACC preseason predictions?