ACC title game: Did you know?
December, 6, 2013
By Matt Fortuna | ESPN.com
Here are a bunch of fun facts for Saturday's showdown in Charlotte. As always, thanks to ESPN Stats & Info, and sports information departments, for the tidbits.
- Duke has clinched its first 10-win season, is on an eight-game winning streak for the first time, has been ranked in the AP poll for the first time since 1994, has two wins against ranked teams for the first time since 1989 and will be playing in consecutive bowl games for the first time.
- Duke has outscored opponents by an FBS-high 76 points in the fourth quarter.
- The Blue Devils' plus-nine turnover margin in the fourth quarter is also the nation's best.
- Duke has gone for it 13 times on fourth-and-1 this season, tied for the most in FBS. The Blue Devils have converted 10 first downs on those 13 plays.
- Jamison Crowder has 587 yards after the catch, second-most in the ACC behind Sammy Watkins (837). Crowder has 21 receptions in which he gained at least 10 yards after the catch.
- Crowder has been targeted 142 times this season, 25 more than any other ACC player. He has caught an ACC-high 34 screen passes and has averaged 6 yards per catch on screens.
- Florida State has 13 ACC titles (11 outright, two shared), one shy of the record held by Clemson. The Seminoles will be playing in their second straight ACC title game after beating Georgia Tech last year.
- Duke is looking for its first conference championship since it shared the ACC title in 1989 with Virginia, and it is going for its first outright title since winning the ACC in 1962. The Blue Devils are playing in their first ACC title game.
- Florida State has a decided advantage in the series, winning all 18 meetings against Duke by an average of 34 points per game.
- Florida State is 12-0 for the first time since it won the BCS national championship during the 1999 season. The Seminoles have won all 12 games by at least 14 points and their average margin of victory (plus-42.7) is on pace to be the highest since Army set the record in 1944 (plus-52.1). They would become the first team to win all of their games by at least 14 points since Urban Meyer’s 2004 Utah Utes. Their average in-game win probability is 84 percent, the highest for any team in the last 10 seasons. (Average in-game win probability is a team’s chance of winning across all of its plays.)
- Jameis Winston leads the FBS with a 91.9 opponent-adjusted QBR. The leader in opponent-adjusted QBR in three of the last six seasons went on to win the Heisman Trophy, including Johnny Manziel last season. Winston had an opponent-adjusted QBR of 90 or higher in eight games. In the last 10 seasons, only Russell Wilson (9) in 2011, Andrew Luck (9) in 2010 and Sam Bradford (9) in 2008 have had more such games in a season.
- With Winston under center, the Seminoles have scored more than 35 points in all 12 games, the longest active streak in the nation and tied for the third-longest streak in FBS history. Winston has already set ACC freshman records for both passing yards and passing touchdowns. Winston has 35 passing touchdowns this season, the most in the ACC and third-most in the FBS. He throws a touchdown every 9.1 attempts, best in the nation.
- Winston averages 11 yards per attempt, second-best in the FBS behind Baylor’s Bryce Petty. He has 62 completions that gained 20 yards or more, fourth-most in the nation. He had eight of those completions against Florida last Saturday, the most allowed by the Gators since 2007, when they gave up eight to Florida Atlantic.
- Winston has completed 68.8 percent of his passes this season, ninth-best in the nation. He is the only player since 2000 to complete at least 90 percent of his passes in two games in the same season (minimum 15 attempts). Winston did it against Pittsburgh (25 of 27) and Syracuse (19 of 21).
- On third down, Winston leads all FBS quarterbacks with at least 60 attempts in completion percentage (71.0), yards per attempt (11.5) and Total QBR (99.3). Winston has converted a first down on an FBS-high 61 percent of his passing plays (pass attempts plus sacks) on third down. No player in the last 10 seasons has finished a season with a higher third-down conversion percentage on passing plays.
- On plays in which he is pressured (knockdown or hurried), Winston completes an AQ-high 65.9 percent of his passes and is averaging 12.2 yards per attempt. The AQ average for a quarterback when pressured is 35 percent and 4.8 yards per attempt. When opponents send five or more pass rushers, Winston leads all AQ players in completion percentage (70.3), touchdowns (19) and yards per attempt (12.4).
- Winston completes an AQ-high 59 percent of his passes thrown 15 yards or longer this season. On such passes, he has 17 touchdowns, second-most among AQ quarterbacks behind Baylor’s Petty (20).
- Florida State averages 8.2 yards per play with Winston under center, the highest for any AQ quarterback who has taken at least 100 snaps. The Seminoles have scored a touchdown on 57 percent of Winston's drives. The FBS average is 27 percent.
- Florida State’s strength of schedule ranks 68th in the FBS. According to ESPN’s adjusted win percentage, it is more difficult to go 10-2 against either Stanford or Arizona State’s schedule than it is to go 12-0 against the Seminoles' schedule.
- Florida State leads the nation in scoring defense and ranks second in scoring offense. According to ESPN’s team efficiency rankings, the Seminoles have the highest-rated offense and defense in the FBS.
12:00 PM ET Georgia Tech Virginia Tech 12:00 PM ET Iowa Pittsburgh 12:30 PM ET Maryland Syracuse 12:30 PM ET Tulane Duke 1:00 PM ET Maine Boston College 3:30 PM ET Louisville Florida International 3:30 PM ET Virginia 21 BYU 3:30 PM ET Army Wake Forest 3:30 PM ET North Carolina East Carolina 6:00 PM ET Presbyterian North Carolina State 8:00 PM ET Miami (FL) 24 Nebraska 8:00 PM ET 22 Clemson 1 Florida State