Thursday, October 21, 2010
ACC's lunchtime links
By ESPN.com staff
It's not the Thursday night game you've been waiting for, but it should be a good one nonetheless ...
- I really like David Cutcliffe. He's a straight shooter. Here's his take on quarterback Sean Renfree and the outside influences:
"He knows who to listen to -- [Duke assistant] Kurt Roper, his daddy and me," Cutcliffe said Tuesday. "The rest of ya, the hell with ya."
- North Carolina true freshman offensive lineman James Hurst will get one of his biggest challenges of the season on Saturday against Miami's Olivier Vernon.
- Forget the past, Georgia Tech and Clemson. It's a new season.
- It's about time John Blake surrendered. Make a public statement. Apologize. Apologize to Butch Davis and his players, apologize to North Carolina fans and apologize to your lawyers for making them take the heat for you.
- Individually, Miami has some players on offense who are having outstanding seasons. Collectively? They're still not producing the results they want to see -- namely points.
- When it comes to hiring coaches, Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson and Clemson's Dabo Swinney are reminders not to get too caught up in labels.
- BC offensive coordinator Gary Tranquill is in a tough spot having to start from scratch with a new quarterback two years in a row.
- FSU coach Jimbo Fisher is even happier with his team now than he was after it stomped on Miami.
- UVA walk-on Trevor Grywatch sacrificed a bit of himself to help save another.
- Do you snore? If so, Virginia Tech fans kindly ask that you stay away from Dyrell Roberts and Danny Coale at their team hotels on the eve of games.