Friday, October 22, 2010
Week 8: Did you know?
By ESPN.com staff
Here’s your weekly dose of ACC factoids, thanks to sports information directors throughout the league. Did you know ….
- Duke place-kicker Will Snyderwine, a former walk-on, has now connected on 87.5 percent (28-of-32) of his career attempts to rank first in Duke history while standing fourth among active NCAA kickers. He has made all 41 of his career PAT attempts, marking the sixth-longest streak in school history. Through six games, Snyderwine ranks first in the ACC in field goal percentage (.917), second in field goals per game (1.83) and third in overall points per game (8.3).
- Only Duke, North Carolina and Florida State have red zone conversion percentages of over 90 percent. The Blue Devils and Tar Heels are the only schools who have failed to score less than three times inside the 20-yard line.
- Virginia turned the ball over five times against North Carolina -- all via interceptions. The last time UVa was intercepted five times in a game was in 1981 against then-No. 9 UNC -- the last time the Tar Heels won in Charlottesville prior to Saturday. The Cavaliers have five interceptions in the red zone this year.
- Fourteen different players have scored touchdowns for the Wolfpack this season, the third-highest in the nation. Four players have scored four times each, while nine have scored two or more touchdowns. Wide receivers (6), halfbacks (3), fullbacks (1), tight ends (1), defensive backs (2) and a quarterback (1) have been responsible for the Wolfpack’s 31 touchdowns this season. In 25 of the 57 years since the ACC was formed, NC State has scored less touchdowns for the season than the Pack has already scored in seven games in 2010. Here’s a look at the national leaders in number of players scoring touchdowns: 1. Stanford (16), 2. Oregon (15) 3. NC State (14), Boise State (14), Fresno State, (14), Utah (14).
- Only 12 Wake Forest players have ever had a run of 76 or more yards from scrimmage during their careers, and four are currently on the roster. Josh Adams ran 83 yards for a touchdown against Florida State in 2007, Brandon Pendergrass had a 76-yard score against Boston College in 2009, Devon Brown went 85 yards for a touchdown against Presbyterian in the 2010 season-opener, and Josh Harris put his name in the record book with an 87-yard touchdown run against Virginia Tech on Oct. 16.
- Carolina is outscoring its opponents 83-32 in the second half this season. The Tar Heels have outscored their opponents in four of six games, including second-half shutouts vs. LSU (14-0) and Virginia (17-0). Carolina allowed just three second-half points to both Rutgers and ECU.
- Maryland's Tony Logan is one of only five FBS players in the past eight years to return two punts of at least 80 yards for touchdowns in the same season. He is joined by Quinton Jones of Boise State (2005), DeSean Jackson of Cal (2006), Javier Arenas of Alabama (2008) and LaVon Brazill of Ohio (2009). In ACC history there have been only two occurrences of back-to-back games with 80-plus yard punt returns for touchdowns. Logan did it this season (85 yards vs. FIU, 9/25; 84 yards vs. Duke, 10/2) and Willie Reid of Florida State was the first league player to perform the feat (83 vs. Virginia Tech in the ACC championship game on 12/3/05; 87 vs. Penn State in the Orange Bowl on 1/3/06).
- Georgia Tech has played Clemson more frequently than any other opponent except Georgia (104 meetings), Auburn (92) and Duke (77). The past three meetings have been decided by a combined 12 points In his three seasons at Georgia Tech, Paul Johnson has compiled a record of 11-2 in games decided by five points or less.
- One of the most unusual statistical occurrences in Clemson history took place during Clemson’s 33-12 victory over Georgia Tech in 1987 at Clemson. Clemson entered the game with a streak of 999 consecutive combined punt returns and kickoff returns without a touchdown dating to 1970. Then, on the 1000th return, Donnell Woolford raced 78 yards with a punt return for a touchdown. Then, later in the game, Joe Henderson returned a kickoff return 95 yards for a touchdown. It is one of just two games in Clemson history that the Tigers have returned a punt return for a touchdown and a kickoff return for a touchdown . The other took place in 2009 when Clemson defeated Middle Tennessee State.
- Virginia Tech has scored more than 40 or more points in three straight games for the first time since 2005.
- Miami senior running back Damien Berry enters the game against UNC having recorded three straight 100-yard rushing games after tallying 111 yards on 25 carries against Duke. Berry is one of just five players in school history to record three straight 100-yard rushing games, joining Willis McGahee, Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis and Frank Gore as the only five players to accomplish the feat at Miami. Not bad company.
- The ACC has already tied a season record with 15 scoring plays each of 80 or more yards. The ACC has recorded the 15 plays this year in just 59 games. It took 104 games to set the record last year.
- BC junior tight end Lars Anderson has a popular name in the Boston area. The Boston Red Sox have a first baseman named Lars Anderson who played 12 games this year. He made his MLB debut on Sept. 6. There is also a Larz Anderson Park four miles away in Brookline. BC’s national champion men’s ice hockey team occasionally practices outside at the rink located at the park. The Eagles’ Anderson has caught six passes for 55 yards this year.