Thursday, May 21, 2009
ACC in the afternoon
By Heather Dinich
Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich
A few odds n' ends for you from around the league:
- Florida State is hardly the only school interested in Christian Jones, but his father and brother both played for the Noles. The football ties in his family helped Jones get through a 0-10 season at Lake Howell High. Miami is also interested in Jones, who is on the ESPNU 150 watch list.
- The Rimington Trophy committee released its 2009 Spring Watch List, and five ACC players are featured on it:
- Lowell Dyer, North Carolina
- Ted Larsen, NC State
- Ryan McMahon, Florida State
- Bryan Morgan, Duke
- Matt Tennant, Boston College
- FSU walk-on receiver Louis Givens still hasn't been awarded a scholarship, a school spokesman said, but that's because the staff is waiting to see how the scholarship situation shakes out. It changes whenever a player like Willie Downs has to head to community college.
- If you saw College Football Live today, you heard the mention of Jacory Harris, who has been working with former Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Harris is determined to be the leader of this team, and he's putting in the offseason work to do that. It's an impressive effort for a sophomore, and Miami's offense will be better for it. Miami might have lost some depth at the position with the transfer of Robert Marve, but the Hurricanes gained a true leader.