Wednesday, June 3, 2009
ACC in the afternoon
By Heather Dinich
Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich
Random rumblings from around the ACC ...
- I talked to FSU receiver Louis Givens Wednesday, who had just left Jimbo Fisher's office. He said he's still waiting on that scholarship. I'll have some good stuff from Givens and Bert Reed tomorrow. Long story short, the receivers are ready to redeem themselves -- and their image.
- Boston College linebacker Mark Herzlich has undergone several rounds of chemo and has responded well, mostly with only fatigue. It takes about five hours and he told sports information director Chris Cameron he sits there with an IV and watches TV or reads. A few players, including Alex Albright, Chris Fox, Codi Boek and others, have gone to Pennsylvania to visit him. Thanks to Chris for the update, and our thoughts are with Mark.
- Virginia Tech AD Jim Weaver has been named the winner of the 2009 John L. Toner Award presented annually by the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame (NFF). The Toner Award is given each year to a director of athletics who has demonstrated superior administrative abilities and shown outstanding dedication to college athletics and particularly college football. The announcement was made Wednesday by Archie Manning, chairman of the NFF.
- There are some good ACC recruiting notes in JC Shurburtt's latest report.
- Out of pure curiosity, I've been tracking down ACC coaches who "Tweet" on Twitter today. I was surprised to see it's not as many as I thought. (Well, I'm really not surprised Al Groh, Frank Beamer and Jim Grobe aren't on there. Just doesn't seem like their kind of thing.) However, you can "follow" some of your coaches and teams on there. I'm following CoachFridge, CoachPJ, coachdabo, DavidCutcliffe, TarHeelfootball, and Packfootball. I'm told Frank Spaziani will eventually get into it, too.
- One assistant coach in the league sent me a text message that said, "Must be a slow day if you're writing about the kickers." So it goes in June ...