Thursday, February 24, 2011
NFL combine notes
By ESPN.com staff
A few ACC-related notes for you on the NFL combine from ESPN reports:
- Former Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers will only participate in the bench press, and FSU quarterback Christian Ponder is expected to forgo running and throwing, according to ESPN's Todd McShay.
- McShay writes that Bowers will be under the "medical microscope" at the combine, and will undergo one of the three most scrutinized medical exams: "Bowers missed two games in 2009 due to an MCL/PCL strain, and after recent surgery to repair a torn meniscus he will participate only in the bench-press test at the combine. Other players are dealing with more significant injuries, but Bowers is atop my most recent mock draft and the stakes are high for him. After two knee injuries in two years, teams want to know if there is a degenerative problem or if the injuries are minor, unrelated occurrences."
- The medical histories of Virginia's Ras-I Dowling and Ryan Williams will also be considered.
- Former UNC defensive end Robert Quinn is considered an "X factor," and with a good combine could wind up in Denver.
- Quinn, along with Marvin Austin, Greg Little and DeAndre McDaniel will be on the interview hot seat at the combine.
- Quinn is one of several players Mel Kiper says has the most to gain from the combine. Torrey Smith is also on the list, and Greg Little cracked the "make the leap" category.
- McShay names former Virginia Tech quarterback Tyrod Taylor, former Miami cornerback Brandon Harris and former Maryland receiver Torrey Smith as players to watch.
- The ACC has had the fastest players at the combine in each of the past two years -- Jacoby Ford in 2009, and Darrius Heyward-Bey in 2008. Can it do it again? McShay says Torrey Smith and Rashad Carmichael are among the top five with the best chance to be the top burner.