Friday, March 11, 2011
UNC spring notes
By Heather Dinich
North Carolina starts spring ball at 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday. A few notes on who will and won't be participating:
- Freshman tailback Giovani Bernard, who tore his ACL on the third day of 2010 fall training camp and redshirted after undergoing surgery Aug. 19, will participate in select periods of spring practice as he continues his rehabilitation.
- Sophomore quarterback A.J. Blue is also healthy. He played in the first six games as a true freshman in 2009 before tearing three ligaments in his left knee against Georgia Southern. Blue, who redshirted last year, will compete for the vacant quarterback position along with junior Braden Hanson, sophomore Bryn Renner and January enrollee Marquise Williams.
- Sophomore wide receiver Joshua Adams and sophomore cornerback Terry Shankle will not be available this spring as they continue to recover from medical issues. Adams was diagnosed in January with ANCA Vasculitis, an auto-immune disorder that affects his kidneys. His playing status for next fall will be updated this summer. Shankle is still recovering from an ACL (left) injury he suffered in Carolina’s win over William & Mary in October.
- Senior cornerback Charles Brown returns this year, but must sit out the first game of the 2011 season and repay benefits as a condition of becoming eligible to play again, according to a recent decision by the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff. The NCAA determined Brown accepted benefits in the amount of $86.94 from an individual identified as a prospective agent prior to the 2010 season. Carolina opens the 2011 season Sept. 3 against James Madison.
- Wide receiver Todd Harrelson will focus on his academics this semester and will not participate in spring workouts.
- Defensive end Linwan Euwell has left the university and will not return in 2011.