Monday, April 4, 2011
Running game highlights Miami scrimmage
By Heather Dinich
Miami's running game was a strength on Saturday, and ACC fans should expect to see more of the same this fall as the Canes have one of the most talented and deepest groups of running backs in the ACC. Look for more short passes to the running backs this fall. About 3,000 fans were in attendance at Spanish River High School in Boca Raton, Fla., to watch the two-hour session under first-year coach Al Golden:
- Five backs -- Mike James, Lamar Miller, Storm Johnson, Maurice Hagens and John Calhoun -- combined for 226 yards on 41 carries (5.5 yard per rush). James led all players with 124 total yards of offense (89 on the ground and 35 through the air) while Johnson and Miller finished with 94 and 67 total yards respectively.
- Jacory Harris completed 14 of 21 passes for 120 yards and one touchdown.
- Stephen Morris completed 7 of 13 passes for 93 yards and one touchdown.
- Travis Benjamin had four catches for 49 yards and two carries for 26 yards.
Quotable: "We have talent there; we have to find ways to get them the ball," Golden said of his running backs. "We have [offensive coordinator] Jedd [Fisch], who is really coaching the heck out of them and using them, and having the quarterbacks see them and know that they're part of the progression because it's easy yards. Obviously it's our job as coaches to put our best players in position to make plays and I think they did that today. ... Michael James is a really good football player ... I'm excited about him."
- Senior linebacker Jordan Futch led the defense with nine total tackles and two sacks.
- Sean Spence had eight tackles, three tackles for loss and two sacks.
- Junior defensive end Adewale Ojomo had the best day of any of the linemen with six tackles, four tackles for loss and two sacks.
- In the secondary, Vaughn Telemaque led the way with seven tackles and a pass deflection.
- Travis Williams had seven tackles, two for loss, and one sack.