Friday, August 21, 2009
Wake kickers shine in scrimmage
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich
Wake Forest kickers Cline Beam, Jimmy Newman and Shane Popham continued to make progress on Thursday in the Deacs' second scrimmage of the summer. Popham and Beam each hit two field goals, while Newman made his only attempt. Popham hit from 37 and 30 yards out, Beam from 24 and 37 and Newman from 25. Four of the five field goals came while the Deacs were working on their red zone offense, beginning each drive at the defense's 15-yard line.
- Fullback Tommy Bohanon rushed for two touchdowns on just five carries. He scored on a seven-yard run to cap a 10-play drive and then punched it in from one-yard out to finish off an 11-play drive. The freshman totaled 13 yards on five carries.
- Quarterback Riley Skinner and wide receiver Chris Givens connected for a 39-yard touchdown on the fourth play. Skinner also hit tight end Cameron Ford for a 20-yard touchdown to cap a seven-play drive. Skinner finished the day completing 11 of 12 passes for 161 yards and two touchdowns. His only incompletion was a dropped pass.
- Kevin Harris led all rushers with 12 carries for 61 yards, an average of 5.1 yards per carry.
- Jordan Williams led the receivers with three catches for 49 yards, while Givens finished with two catches for 61 yards. A total of 12 receivers caught at least one pass on Thursday.
- Josh Bush led the defense with seven tackles, including four solo and 1.5 for loss.