Tuesday, August 19, 2008
FSU, Clemson practice reports
By Heather Dinich
Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich
FSU offensive line coach Rick Trickett is a straight shooter. When asked today whether David Spurlock will earn the starting job at right guard while Will Furlong is out with a back strain, Trickett said:
"The longer [Will] Furlong is out the worse it is for him. Everybody is talking about Furlong, but he never started a game here. So what the Hell is the difference between him and [David] Spurlock? That's kind of where we're at right now."
Highlights from Tuesday morning's practice included:
- A 25-yard touchdown run from Brandon Paul.
- In 11-on-11, Dakoda Watson had a leaping pass breakup and a sack.
- The defense kept the offense out of the end zone on its first three tries in the red zone drill.
Here are the highlights from the Tigers' final scrimmage before the Alabama game:
- Quarterback Cullen Harper completed 12-of-14 passes for 116 yards and a touchdown.
- Receiver Marquan Jones had a team-high three catches for 41 yards, including a 33-yard reception from Harper.
- Paul Macko was the top rusher with two carries for 20 yards. Rendrick Taylor had six carries for 16 yards. James Davis had just one rush for 11 yards and C.J. Spiller had two rushes for 9 yards to go with one reception. Neither played after the first possession.
- The defense forced three turnovers -- a fumble recovery by Andre Branch, an interception by Rashard Hall and an interception by Crezdon Butler. Hall, a first-year freshman, made a diving interception, then kept his balance for a 15-yard return. The top tackler in the scrimmage was Byron Maxwell with five.