Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Duke scrimmage highlights
By ESPN.com staff
Duke held an 85-play scrimmage on Monday evening at Wallace Wade Stadium. Here are the highlights, according to the team's scrimmage report:
- Quarterback Sean Renfree completed 10 of 17 passes for 150 yards and one touchdown. He had four completions of 20 or more yards, including a 20-yard touchdown to wideout Tyree Watkins.
- Watkins and Preston Scott each caught three passes for 53 yards while freshman Jamison Crowder added three grabs for 20 yards.
- Running back Juwan Thompson was the leading rusher with 47 yards on six attempts.
- Quarterback Brandon Connette had eight carries for 39 yards including a 1-yard touchdown while running back Desmond Scott had 31 yards on seven carries. Connette completed 5 of 9 passes for 62 yards while redshirt freshman quarterback Anthony Boone completed 3 of 8 passes for 14 yards while rushing six times for 16 yards with a 5-yard touchdown run.
- The Duke defense forced two turnovers, and cornerback Tony Foster and safety Jordon Byas each recovered fumbles.
- Associate head coach Ron Middleton will be off the sidelines indefinitely after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon late last week. Middleton is scheduled to undergo surgery on Tuesday morning. Shaun Sarrett, a member of the Blue Devil staff since 2008, will assume Middleton’s coaching duties with the tight ends.