Friday, September 11, 2009
ACC's lunchtime links
By Heather Dinich
Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich
The ACC put another thriller on display Thursday night in Georgia Tech's 30-27 win over Clemson. Here's a look at what else is on tap in the conference this weekend:
- Maryland defensive coordinator Don Brown took full responsibility for the Terps' implosion on defense last weekend against Cal. Brown told The Washington Post, "I am completely responsible for it. I am accountable for it."
- Virginia Tech's defense wasn't entirely flawless, either, though it was hardly the debacle Maryland had. Sometimes, though, it only takes five plays to turn a game.
- Maryland's Brown wasn't the only coordinator in the ACC to come up short in his debut. Things didn't turn out as expected for Virginia offensive coordinator Gregg Brandon, either.
- Despite the loss to Baylor, Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe still sees reasons for optimism - and no reason to shake up his lineup.
- NC State wide receiver Jay Smith knows he dropped a big pass in the end zone against South Carolina, and he's working hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.
- Does Boston College have a new star in the making at linebacker? It will if 18-year-old Luke Kuechly continues to soak up information from Mark Herzlich and Mike McLaughlin and play like he did last weekend.
- Miami receiver Travis Benjamin doesn't hold a grudge against Florida State for not recruiting him. He just wants to beat the Noles. And this year, he helped do that.
- Will the Canes have better luck against Georgia Tech this year than in 2008? Miami coach Randy Shannon doesn't even want to think about last year.
- The public arguments between FSU president T.K. Wetherell and the NCAA are getting a little bit embarrassing.
- Virginia Tech punter Brent Bowden is in his third season as the Hokies' top punter, and he's aiming to make it his best.