Wednesday, June 20, 2012
ACC's INT artists
By ESPN.com staff
The ACC has an impressive, under-the-radar streak going on that could be difficult to continue this fall. Last year, NC State cornerback David Amerson led the nation with 13 interceptions, the highest total for an FBS player since 1968. Thanks to Amerson, an ACC player has now won or shared the national lead in total pass interceptions in four of the last five seasons:
NCAA leaders in pass interceptions
2011: David Amerson, NC State (13, 1.00/gm)
2010: Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech (9, 0.69/gm)
2008: Trimane Goddard, UNC (7, 0.54); Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest (7, 0.54); Morgan Burnett, Georgia Tech (7, 0.54) (tied in total interceptions with 4 others)
2007: Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest (8, 0.62) (tied with Cincinnati's DeAngelo Smith and Troy's Elbert Mack in total interceptions)
Can the ACC keep it up? Here's a look at the returning leaders who had at least four interceptions last year:
Don't forget about Merrill Noel at Wake Forest, who led the league with 21 passes defended. Here's a look at the ACC's spring all-star checklist for 2012 defensive backs:
- Lee Butler, Duke, Sr.
- Ross Cockrell, Duke, Jr.
- Greg Reid, Florida State, Sr.
- Xavier Rhodes, Florida State, Jr.
- Rod Sweeting, Georgia Tech, Sr.
- Louis Young, Georgia Tech, Jr.
- David Amerson, NC State, Jr.
- Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech, Jr.
- Merrill Noel, Wake Forest, So.
- Antone Exum, Virginia Tech, Jr.
- Jim Noel, Boston College, Sr.
- Rashard Hall, Clemson, Sr.
- Walt Canty, Duke, Sr.
- Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State, Jr.
- Isaiah Johnson, Georgia Tech, Jr.
- Jemea Thomas, Georgia Tech, Jr.
- Earl Wolff, NC State, Sr.