Thursday, September 13, 2012
Notre Dame vs. the ACC
By Andrea Adelson
Now that we know Notre Dame will play five ACC teams every year beginning in 2014, here is a look at how the Irish have fared against ACC competition.
Thanks to ESPN Stats & Information for compiling all these stats.
First point: Does the scheduling change that much for Notre Dame? In three of the past five seasons, the Fighting Irish have played or will play against four current/future ACC schools.
Second point: So how have the Irish fared against ACC competition?
- 2012: Miami, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Wake Forest
- 2011: Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Maryland, Boston College, Florida State (bowl game)
- 2010: Boston College, Pittsburgh
- 2009: Boston College, Pittsburgh
- 2008: North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Syracuse
- Notre Dame has games against Pitt, Miami, Wake Forest, Syracuse and Boston College also scheduled into the future as well.
- Notre Dame has won six of its past seven against ACC teams (including 1-1 in bowl games over that stretch).
- Since the ACC began in 1953, Notre Dame is 28-13 against ACC opponents (conference membership at the time of game).
- Notre Dame has an all-time losing record against just two current ACC members (Florida State and NC State).
- There is only one ACC team Notre Dame has never played: Virginia Tech.