Friday, February 8, 2013
2012 postseason top 25 players: No. 12
By Andrea Adelson
No. 12 Conner Vernon, WR, Duke
2012 stats: Vernon led the ACC in total receptions with 85, going for 1,074 yards and eight touchdowns to etch his name in the conference record books. He finished his carer as the ACC’s all-time leader in receptions (283) and receiving yards (3,749), and had a reception in 47 straight games.
Previous ranking: No. 15
Making the case: Vernon was the most reliable receiver on a Duke team that had its share of reliable receivers, and that is saying something about his incredible dependability. Vernon tied the Duke single-season record with three games with 10 or more receptions in 2012; he had five games with 100 or more receiving yards; and he set the school record for single-season receptions with 85.
Jamison Crowder and Desmond Scott joined with Vernon to form the most productive trio of receivers in the league. But Vernon stood out. The coaches put him on their inaugural ACC first team. Vernon became the first receiver in league history with back-to-back 70-catch seasons, and is also the first receiver in ACC history with four seasons of 50 or more receptions. No question the Blue Devils are going to miss seeing No. 2 lining up week in and week out.
- No. 13 EJ Manuel, QB, Florida State
- No. 14 Joe Vellano, DL, Maryland
- No. 15 Lamarcus Joyner, S, Florida State
- No. 16 Kevin Reddick, LB, North Carolina
- No. 17 Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland
- No. 18 Ross Cockrell, CB, Duke
- No. 19 Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
- No. 20 Bryn Renner, QB, North Carolina
- No. 21 Alex Amidon, WR, Boston College
- No. 22 Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech
- No. 23 Omoregie Uzzi, OG, Georgia Tech
- No. 24 Michael Campanaro, WR, Wake Forest
- No. 25 Mike Glennon, QB, NC State