Friday, February 15, 2013
ACC notable signings on NSD: Atlantic
By Andrea Adelson
You heard about the four- and five-star players on signing day. But did you hear about the player whose brother served a tour in Iraq and cousin is a Hall of Fame bodybuilder?
That is where we come in. Heather and I went through every single bio among the players who signed last week to find some of the more notable signings that got lost in the shuffle. Whether they are players with past connections to the school they signed with or have interesting back stories, there is plenty to be highlighted.
I take you through the Atlantic Division. Stay tuned for the notable signings from the Coastal.
- Louie Addazio, TE: Father is head coach Steve Addazio.
- Drew Barksdale, WR: Also starred on the lacrosse field and was offered a lacrosse scholarship at Michigan.
- Tyrone Crowder Jr., OL: Cousin of current Clemson linebacker Stephone Anthony. Also from the same hometown (Rockingham, N.C.) as former Clemson wide receiver Tony Horne (1994-97), who went on to be an All-Pro in the NFL.
- D.J. Greenlee, Athlete: son of Clemson assistant director of strength and conditioning Larry Greenlee.
- Ben Boulware, LB: Brother, Garrett, is a sophomore on the Clemson baseball team.
- Jayron Kearse, Athlete: Nephew of former Florida All-American and NFL All-Pro Jevon Kearse, and the cousin of NFL player Phillip Buchanon. Attended same high school as Sammy Watkins (South Fort Myers).
- Wayne Gallman, RB, and Ryan Carter, DB. Their Grayson (Ga.) High school coach, Mickey Conn, was a roommate of coach Dabo Swinney at Alabama.
- Davarez Bryant, DE: Played high school basketball before switching to football. Bryant is at New Smyrna (Fla.) High, but he attended a different high school every year since he was a freshman.
- Matthew Thomas, LB: Thomas' mother is a native of the Republic of Suriname, a small South American Country bordered on its north side by the Atlantic Ocean.
- Levonte Whitfield, WR: Cousin of FSU freshman receiver Marvin Bracy. His grandmother gave him the nickname "Kermit" because he loved "The Muppet Show" as a child.
- Jalen Brooks, LB: Finished fourth in the state of Georgia in the 195-pound weightlifting class as a junior and is currently ranked third in the state in the 220-pound class.
- Taivon Jacobs, WR: Brother of current Maryland receiver Levern Jacobs.
- Deon Long, WR: Was coached by current offensive coordinator Mike Locksley at New Mexico.
- Jarrett Ross, DB: Brother of Maryland running back Brandon Ross.
- Artemis Robinson, LB: Younger brother of former Pack linebacker and current member of the Green Bay Packers Terrell Manning.
- Monty Nelson, DT: Also qualified for the wrestling state championships at Plantation (Fla.) High.
- Tyler Provo, TE: Brother, Nick, is Syracuse’s career leader for receptions by a tight end.
- Chauncey Scissum, DB: Played football, lacrosse and ran indoor track for Rush-Henrietta (N.Y.). High school teammate of current Syracuse sophomore running back Ashton Broyld.
- John Armstrong, RB: Cousin of Alton Howard, a freshman receiver for the Tennessee Volunteers.
- James Looney, NG: Younger brother of former Wake Forest All-ACC guard Joe Looney, now with the San Francisco 49ers.
- Michael Radford, QB: Father, Michael Sr., was a guard at Marshall when Jim Grobe was an assistant coach with the Thundering Herd (1979-83).
- Julian Thomas-Jackson, OLB: Brother, Alan Thomas, played defensive end at Ole Miss from 2009-11.
- Lance Virgile, OLB: Virgile is is from the same high school that produced Wake Forest great Brian Piccolo (St. Thomas in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.). The stadium at St. Thomas is named after Piccolo. At the time Piccolo attended the school, it was known as Central Catholic.
- Mike Weaver, PK/P: Has been out of high school for two years while pursuing college opportunities. Weaver was primarily a soccer player until playing just his senior year of football. Started playing varsity soccer in the seventh grade.