Friday, February 15, 2013
ACC notable signings on NSD: Coastal
By Heather Dinich
Everyone has a story to tell. It’s simply impossible to highlight all of them on national signing day. After a quick scan of every recruit’s bio in the Coastal Division, there were plenty of notables to revisit -- a Hokie who wants to be a heart surgeon, a Blue Devil whose dad is on the staff at ACC newcomer Syracuse, Yellow Jackets whose pedigree includes the NBA and NFL.
The list goes on, check it out ...
- Gabe Brandner, OT: His mother played tennis at West Virginia; His father lettered two seasons (1974-75) as an offensive tackle under Hall of Fame coach Bobby Bowden at West Virginia, helping the Mountaineers to a two-year record of 13-10, including a 13-10 win over NC State in the 1975 Peach Bowl.
- Phillip Carter, S: His cousin, Darnell Jackson, lettered four seasons (2005-06-07-08) in basketball at Kansas, helped the Jayhawks to the 2008 NCAA championship and was selected in the second round of the 2008 NBA draft by the Miami Heat. He also played with the Cleveland Cavaliers, Milwaukee Bucks and Sacramento Kings. His cousin, Adam Jennings, lettered four seasons (2002-03-04-05) in football at Fresno State University, helped the Bulldogs to 35 wins and four bowl game appearances. He was selected in the sixth round of the 2006 NFL draft by the Falcons and also played with the Lions and Giants.
- T.J. Douglas, ATH: His cousin, Jammi German, lettered three seasons (1994-95-96) as a wide receiver at Miami, and was selected in the third round of the 1998 NFL draft by the Falcons and also played with the Browns. His cousin, Melvin German, plays football at FAU. Another cousin, Joel German, plays football at Western Kentucky University.
- Evrett Edwards, CB: His father played football at Southern University, and his uncle, Benny Guilbeaux, lettered four seasons (1995-96-97-98) as a safety at Notre Dame. Guilbeaux led the team in interceptions as both a sophomore and junior while helping the Fighting Irish to a four-year record of 33-15 with three bowl game appearances.
- Jake Kite, S: His father, Christopher, was a defensive back and wide receiver at Virginia from 1984-87, helping the Cavaliers to a four-year record of 25-19-2 with Peach Bowl and All American Bowl victories following the 1984 and 1987 seasons, respectively.
- Deondre Singleton, S: His father, Cedric, lettered three seasons (1989-90-91) in football at Louisiana Tech, helping the Bulldogs to a three-year record of 21-8-4 including an appearance in the 1990 Independence Bowl.
- Ryan Smith, WR: His dad, DeAndre, is the running backs coach at Syracuse.
- Chris Griffin, OL: His uncle, Eddie Metcalf, played football at Florida A&M.
- Donovan Wilson, AB: His father, Kenny, played basketball at Davidson and later with the Denver Nuggets in the NBA.
- Kevin Robbins Jr. DL/LB: His father, Kevin Sr., played football at Michigan State and four years in the NFL from 1989 to 1993 with the Browns, Falcons and Rams.
- Ray Lewis III, ATH: He is the son of former Miami Hurricanes and Baltimore Ravens great and two-time Super Bowl champion Ray Lewis.
- Kevin Olsen, QB: He is the brother of former Miami Hurricane and current Carolina Panthers TE Greg Olsen.
- Jordan Fieulleteau, WR: He scored 25 touchdowns as a senior and 24 as a junior -- the most touchdown catches in the nation in past two seasons.
- Jeremiah Taleni, DL: He became "the first Pitt football scholarship signee out of Hawaii in memory," according to the school's site. His recruitment originated with defensive line coach Inoke Breckterfield's relationship with the staff at Kailua High School, located on the island's East Coast.
- George Adeosun, OL: A native of Nigeria, Adeosun didn’t start playing football until he got to high school. He started his junior season on the junior varsity team and an injury forced him to make his varsity debut blocking ESPN’s No. 2 recruit and Auburn signee Carl Lawson. Holding his own, he remained on varsity for the remainder of his career.
- Zack Jones, WR: He is the brother of former UVa captain Perry Jones.
- Andre Levrone Jr., WR: His brother, Jonathan, served a tour in Iraq as a tanker in the U.S. Army. His father, Andre Sr., played linebacker for his base team while serving in the Marine Corp. His cousin, Kevin Levrone, is a IFBB Hall of Fame body builder, four-time first-runner-up to Mr. Olympia.
- Jack McDonald, OL: His uncle, Cliff McDonald, played offensive tackle at New Hampshire and held the New England Heavyweight boxing title. His cousin, Cliff McDonald, Jr., played football at Dartmouth.
- Eric Tetlow, OL: His father, Peter, who was born and raised in Australia, was a world-class swimmer, won national championships and qualified for the Olympics before coming to the United States to swim at Harvard. His father was ranked as high as seventh in the world in the 1,500-meter freestyle.
- Kyle Chung, OL: His father, Eugene, was an All-American offensive lineman at Virginia Tech and an NFL player who now coaches in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Andrew Motu'apuaka, LB: He was born in Auckland, New Zealand. His parents, Siaosi and Manu Motu'apuaka, are from Tonga, and went to school in New Zealand. His family migrated to the U.S. and his father joined the U.S. Army.
- Kendall Fuller, CB: He has three older brothers, all of whom played or play football for Tech -- Vincent, Corey and Kyle.
- Brandon Facyson, DB: His mother and stepfather (Karen Riggins-Taylor and Frederick Facyson) are currently principals in Dubai. His contemplated major is pre-med, with a goal of becoming a heart surgeon.