Wednesday, March 13, 2013
ACC pro days watch
By Heather Dinich
This month is filled with pro days across the ACC, and we're here to keep you updated with how the auditions have been going for those schools that provide releases. So far, Pittsburgh, Miami, Clemson and Syracuse have all held their pro days. Here's a look at some of their highlights:
- Twelve former players participated: Spencer Benton (PK), Xavier Brewer (DB), Jaron Brown (WR), Brandon Ford (TE), Dalton Freeman (C), Malliciah Goodman (DE), Rashard Hall (SAF), DeAndre Hopkins (WR), Carlton Lewis (SAF), Jonathan Meeks (DB), Jonathan Willard (LB) and Corico Wright (LB).
- Ford had the best vertical jump at 37 inches.
- Freeman was the lone player to have more than 30 reps, with 34 reps of 225 pounds on the bench-press.
- Brown had the best 40-yard time at 4.4 seconds. He also had the top broad jump at 10 feet, 4 inches.
- Running back Andre Ellington will have a separate workout at Clemson on March 29. He suffered an injury at the NFL combine in February.
- Twelve Miami seniors auditioned for 30 NFL scouts.
- S Vaughn Telemaque recorded the highest vertical jump at 36 inches.
- DL Darius Smith was the lone participant to break the 30-rep plateau, recording 33 reps of 225 pounds.
- Both RB Mike James and DB Brandon McGee took their official NFL combine 40 times. WR Kendal Thompkins had the best 40 time at pro day with 4.37.
- LB Ramon Buchanan had the best broad jump at 10 feet, 8 inches.
- Twelve seniors worked out in front of scouts from 17 NFL teams, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- The highlight, according to the paper, was Ray Graham's improvement in the 40. Graham ran a disappointing time of 4.8 seconds at the NFL combine, but improved to a range of 4.58 to 4.62.
- Fifteen former players participated in pro day in front of 29 NFL scouts.
- "Deon Goggins today really lit it up," said SU assistant athletics director for athletic performance Will Hicks in the release. "I mean, he verticaled 37.5 [inches]. He ran in the high 4.7s, so he put himself on the map today. But he also did that in the all-star game [2013 NFLPA Collegiate Game], he played in. He had a caused fumble, a sack, a tackle for loss, but what he did today was show his speed."
Here is the remaining pro day schedule for the rest of the ACC:
- NC State
- Virginia Tech
- Boston College