Friday, January 8, 2010
NC State's roster grows
By ESPN.com staff
NC State will add four players to its roster when classes begin next week -- two who originally signed with the Pack in 2009 and two transfers. They'll be available for spring practices. Here's a quick bio on each of them, thanks to NC State's sports information department:
Senior defensive end David Akinniyi (6-4, 250) of Rocklin, Calif., / Rocklin HS, / Northeastern University
Three-year starter at defensive end and linebacker for coach Rocky Hager at Northeastern University, which announced in November that it was discontinuing its football program. Akinniyi has one year of eligibility remaining.
Freshman defensive end A.J. Ferguson (6-3, 250) of Southport, N.C., / South Brunswick HS
- Recorded 40 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and four sacks in 2009, including two tackles for loss against Boston College.
- Named to the Colonial Athletic Association Academic All-Conference team in 2007 and 2008.
- Played 34 games at Northeastern, recording 141 tackles, 22 tackles for loss and 12 sacks.
- His sister Dorcas is a heptathlete at Wisconsin, sister Deborah ran track at Stanford (2005-08) and brother Akin was a linebacker at Arizona (2002-06).
He originally signed with the Pack in 2009 and spent last season at Fork Union Military Academy. Ferguson was named to the USA Football Junior National squad that represented the United State in the first IFAF Junior World Championship in Canton, Ohio, during the summer of 200.
Junior offensive lineman Mikel Overgaard (6-6, 280) of Weiser, Idaho / Weiser HS / Snow College
- A four-year starter at South Brunswick High School for Coach Gordon Walters, he recorded 90 tackles, including 20 for loss, and 10 sacks during his senior season.
- Scored three touchdowns on defense as a senior.
- Also played tight end, pulling down 10 receptions and four touchdowns in 2008.
Overgaard transferred to NC State from Snow College in Utah, where he started at left tackle for coach Steve Coburn. He earned all-conference honors in 2009 and posted a 3.8 GPA. He originally enrolled at Washington State in 2007, where he walked on and redshirted at tight end.
Freshman defensive tackle Deion Roberson (6-3, 275) of Tucker, Ga., / Tucker HS
Roberson originally signed with the Wolfpack in 2009, but spent the past season rehabbing. He was named a top-five defensive lineman at the U.S. Army All-American combine, but missed his entire senior season (2008) after severely dislocating his ankle on the second play of the season.
- Tallied 35 tackles, 12 for loss, and three sacks in 14 games as a junior.
- As a sophomore, he made 44 tackles and six sacks.
- Honor roll student who was a member of the chess club and worked with Habitat for Humanity.