ACC: Durrell Barry
First, good for Swinney setting a no-tolerance example in his first full season. Second, you never know how suspensions will affect a team. Just look at Maryland last year in the Humanitarian Bowl. Ralph Friedgen suspended several players for missing curfew, including leading rusher Da'Rel Scott. Scott came back in the second half after sitting out the first and rushed for 174 yards, a Maryland bowl record, on just 14 carries and led Maryland to a 42-35 victory over Nevada.
The loss of Cumbie and Moore will hurt Clemson's depth, but the Tigers have other players who are capable of taking on more responsibility. The bigger question for the Tigers right now is focus, which Swinney insists is not an issue. It was, though, in 2006, and considering the Tigers already enter the game off of two disappointing losses, they didn't need any more distractions.
Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich
Caulton Tudor says this is the time for Butch Davis to shine. The Tar Heels lost this game two seasons ago, but a win tonight could "turn UNC's fortunes around." This game will be about more than just football, though.
- Elsewhere in the state of North Carolina, Wolfpack quarterback Russell Wilson said he's ready to make his comeback against the Clemson Tigers.
- It looks like Da'Quan Bowers has earned the starting nod for this game, and Kevin Alexander has moved to the "bandit end" position to replace injured starter Ricky Sapp. All of that can be found at the end of this story about Durrell Barry. Clemson is expected to use three redshirt freshmen offensive linemen on Saturday.
- What's up with suspended Florida State defensive lineman Budd Thacker? Something, but Bobby Bowden won't tell. If he's back for Wake Forest, it will definitely help the Noles.
- Georgia Tech is still working on learning the triple option, but once they figure it out, look out.
- In case you missed it last night, Peter Lalich will not play against Connecticut. Two thoughts on this -- well, OK, three: 1. Good move. 2. Should've done it last week. 3. I love the line in this story "seldom used" to describe Marc Verica, whose bio in the media guide reads: 2007 -- Did not appear in any games. 2006 -- Redshirted. Yeah, I'd say that's seldom.
- I watched the Miami/Florida game last weekend on a TV. Apparently most of you did, too.
- Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer has left his spot in the tower and is getting in a few faces at practice this week. And Bryan Stinespring is "challenging their manhood." Where is highly touted RB Ryan Williams? It looks like he might steal Tyrod Taylor's redshirt.
- It looks like leather lungs will be starring in the next Under Armour commercial for the Terps.