ACC: Mohamed Yahiaoui
Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- Checking in from the heart of ACC country. I'll be talking to Tar Heels tomorrow, but first a look around what happened throughout the rest of the league Tuesday, according to team practice reports:
- The Blue Devils had a 55-snap situational scrimmage this afternoon.
- Quarterback Thaddeus Lewis completed nine-of-13 passes for 92 yards and scored on a one-yard run.
- Backup QB Zack Asack completed six-of-14 throws for 67 yards and one touchdown, and he rushed four times for 55 yards.
- Freshman running back Jay Hollingsworth had 54 yards on 10 carries, including a 26-yard touchdown.
- Four Blue Devils -- Raphael Chestnut, Brett Huffman, Tielor Robinson and Johnny Williams -- caught two passes each and Jeremy Ringfield caught an 18-yard touchdown pass from Asack.
- Adrian Aye-Darko had an interception and Eddie Morgan recovered one fumble.
"Out of this situational scrimmage we got a couple of two minute drills that were pretty dynamic," coach David Cutcliffe said. "We got some short yardage and goal line work. We got a lot of third down work which I thought was good. The offense made some big plays to move the ball down the field and then turned it over on a forced error by the defense. All in all there was a little bit more give and take in this scrimmage than on Saturday. The one glaring thing is we have to find somebody who can run the football. The loss of Re'quan Boyette for the time being has put a damper on our run game."
- Senior Kevin Akins, who was recently moved from linebacker to corner, had two interceptions.
- Junior Rich Gunnell scampered for a long touchdown catch down the right sideline, and sophomore Ifeanyi Momah made a leap over the corner for an impressive catch.
- Freshman Colin Larmond Jr. also grabbed a long reception on the left side with a defender on his hip.
- There was a torrential rainstorm that made it tough for the offense to handle the ball through 12 periods.
- New football equipment manager Darin Kerns, a veteran of the Tampa Buccaneers and Kansas City Chiefs, believes FSU has the best helmet in college football (as do many of the nation's fans, according the ESPN.com's 'Helmet Clash' contest). When he came to Tallahassee and saw the team's practice helmet without a spear on the side he decided to immediately rectify that matter and the spear is now on FSU's practice helmets.
- The blocking drill was highlighted by Corey Surrency's crushing block on Ochuko Jenije that ended up with the junior receiver being swarmed by teammates and his position coach Lawrence Dawsey.
- Team inside -- which is usually a running drill and only features everyone but the receivers and DBs -- featured the receivers for one period as Drew Weatherford connected with Taiwan Easterling, something you usually don't see during inside drills. Weatherford ran for a TD and Antone Smith had a nice run as well.
- Kevin McNeil, who had some academic issues, returned to practice and could contribute on the defensive line.
"Kevin McNeil was back out there today," coach Bobby Bowden said. "Of course they have to go back to the very beginning of the acclimation process -- two days in shorts, two days in shells and then into full (pads). We are going to bring him along slow. I don't think any other new guys got back out there. I'm sure they are all waiting for clearance before they go out there."
- The offense worked mainly on short-yardage passing and goal-line offense during its team drills today. The defense worked on passing situations, mainly on short-yard coverage. The Yellow Jackets ended practice by working on situations they might face in overtime.
- Freshman quarterback Jaybo Shaw threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to true freshman Jonathan Lockhart.
- Sophomore quarterback Josh Nesbitt returned the favor on his squad's first play with a 25-yard touchdown pass to redshirt freshman A-back Roddy Jones. After the first-team offense failed an attempted field goal on the ensuing drive, the second team won the game soon after as redshirt junior Mohamed Yahiaoui made a 30-yard field goal.
- The Hokies had their first of three scrimmages today, and they went 78 plays without any serious injuries.
- Quarterback Sean Glennon completed 6-of-10 passes for 49 yards and Tyrod Taylor completed 6-of-10 for 20 yards.
- Running back Josh Oglesby had five carries for 65 yards and one touchdown; Darren Evans: 7-26, and Ryan Williams 7-20.
- Prince Parker led all receivers with three catches for 19 yards.
- Defensively, corner Eddie Whitley had six tackles, one sack and one forced fumble. Orion Martin had five tackles, including two tackles for loss.
- Matt Waldron made three field goals (35 yards, 25, 38).
- Macho Harris: Two blocked field goals.
- Oglesby: blocked punt, 34-yard touchdown run.