Around the AFC East: Favre on the spot
August, 8, 2008
By Tim Graham | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham
New York Jets
- New York Times columnist Dave Anderson writes Brett Favre is overdue for a disabling injury. Welcome to New York, Brett!
- Newsday columnist Bob Glauber reports "a significant portion of the team was not in favor of giving up on Chad Pennington."
- New York Daily News reporters Rich Cimini and Ohm Youngmisuk break down how the trade came to pass.
- On the field, QB Brett Ratliff had the biggest night in the Jets' preseason opener against the Cleveland Browns.
- Allen Wilson of the Buffalo News writes backup RB Fred Jackson has gone from arena throwaway to a secure NFL employee.
- Hobbled rookie WR James Hardy will play in Saturday night's preseason opener against the Washington Redskins.
- LB Angelo Crowell won't play because of a knee injury.
- The Dolphins declined to reveal who their starting QB will be in Saturday night's exhibition opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Posts writes about the Dolphins' interest in former Jets QB Chad Pennington.
New England Patriots
- Boston Globe reporter Christopher L. Gasper shares the blah that was Thursday night's preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens.
- Providence Journal writer Shalise Manza Young details how the second-stringers struggled.
- Backup QB Matt Cassel flat lined in his chance to start, writes Boston Herald scribe Jeff Horrigan.
- Boston Herald columnist Steve Buckley writes rookie ILB Jerod Mayo made heads roll.
- Also from the Boston Herald, John Tomase takes a look at the possibility ILB Junior Seau will be back.