Around the AFC East: Pennington heads back to battle
July, 24, 2008
By Tim Graham | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham
- This just in: The Bills announced this afternoon they've signed two more of their picks, leaving two to go. Third-round DE Chris Ellis and sixth-round RB Xavier Omon signed on the dotted line today.
- To preview the start of camp at St. John Fisher College, Rochester Democrat & Chronicle reporter Sal Maiorana lays out Buffalo's top preseason storylines. One of his burning questions is how much impact Turk Schonert will have as the new offensive coordinator. One thing's for sure: His offense at least will be more fun to watch than Steve Fairchild's drudgery.
- How does Jason Taylor rank among the all-time Dolphins? Miami Herald columnist Greg Cote wants your vote. There are eight names to choose from on Cote's list -- and one of them is Doug Betters?
New England Patriots
- The Patriots have signed rookie LB Jerod Mayo, drafted 10th overall out of Tennessee. Mayo was the club's last rookie without a contract. The deal wasn't struck in time for him to participate in this morning's first practice of training camp.
- Bill Burt of the Lawrence Eagle-Tribune has an exclusive sit-down with Bill Belichick.
- The Boston Globe's Christopher L. Gasper takes a look at what makes Camp Belichick so effective. Former TE Christian Fauria says Belichick "puts players in those uncomfortable situations in July and August, so in October, November, December, when the games mean the most, it's not the first time they've been in them and it's second nature."
New York Jets
- Newsday columnist Rob Glauber talks with survivalist Chad Pennington. It always strikes me whenever I'm reminded Pennington already is 32 years old (he was a 24-year-old rookie). Yet we're still waiting to see what he's going to turn into.
- Not receiving one iota of the sentimentality of Yankee Stadium's shuttering is the Jets' final preseason at Hofstra University.