What did our crystal balls tell us?
September, 8, 2009
By Tim Graham | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham
As part of ESPN.com's "NFL Preview 2009" package, the company asked 16 of its writers to forecast the season, everything from playoff teams to MVP to rookie of the year.
Some AFC East highlights from the survey:
- The New England Patriots were unanimously selected to win the division.
- An AFC East club appeared only twice when predicting wild cards. NFC East blogger Matt Mosley selected the Miami Dolphins, while AFC West blogger Bill Williamson said the Buffalo Bills would make it.
- Five writers had the Patriots winning the AFC championship, and all of them picked the Patriots to win the Super Bowl, too. Seven writers, including yours truly, picked the Pittsburgh Steelers to repeat.
- New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez received seven votes for offensive rookie of the year.
- No AFC East players were chosen to win defensive rookie of the year.
- Patriots quarterback Tom Brady received six votes for MVP.
- Brady received two votes for offensive player of the year, while Patriots receiver Randy Moss had one.
- No AFC East players were chosen to win defensive player of the year.
- Two writers predicted Bill Belichick would be coach of the year.