A look at AFC East captains
September, 11, 2009
By Tim Graham | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham
The Buffalo Bills named their captains Friday, rounding out selections for the three AFC East clubs that will have permanent designees.
New York Jets coach Rex Ryan will change his captains throughout the season.
"I don’t believe in having the same captains for every game," Ryan said. "I like to rotate guys.
"We'll choose four captains. We'll take their picture. If they win, they get to keep the picture. If they lose, they don’t get the picture. ... That’s a pride thing. We’ll pass those things out on Fridays of the next week along with game balls. It’s a good thing, and it’s quite an honor to be selected as a captain.
"You’ll choose guys for different reasons. It doesn't have to be your best player each week, but we’ll see. I’ve been thinking about it. It’s something that I spend quite a lot of time thinking about."
Here's a snapshot of captains for the other three AFC East teams as selected by their teammates:
- Offense: quarterback Trent Edwards, receiver Lee Evans.
- Defense: linebackers Kawika Mitchell, Paul Posluszny.
- Special teams: punter Brian Moorman, safety George Wilson.
- Offense: quarterback Chad Pennington.
- Defense: nose tackle Jason Ferguson, outside linebackers Joey Porter and Jason Taylor.