The countdown of my top 25 AFC East players continues, one weekday at a time ...
Blogger's note: An error was made on Friday's blog regarding the hint for No. 10. I inadvertently printed a hint for the Ferguson selection ("He's the only player remaining on the list who plays the same position as someone rated higher"). That means No. 10 Santonio Holmes is the highest-rated receiver on the list. I'm sorry for the confusion.
FergusonAbout the choice: D'Brickashaw Ferguson made his second straight Pro Bowl after another fine season as the New York Jets' left tackle. STATS Inc. faulted Ferguson for only two sacks last season (even with pedestrian left guard Matt Slauson next to him), and zero sacks over seven career playoff games. Ferguson was flagged for holding twice. The Jets had the NFL's most prolific ground game in 2009. Last year, they ranked fourth in average rushing yards per game and tied for eighth in yards per carry.
Key fact: Despite having an inexperienced Slauson at left guard, ESPN Stats & Information data had the Jets averaging 5.2 yards a carry to the left side.
Hint about No. 8: Among the entire top 25 list, five players were the lone representatives at their positions. No. 8 is one of them.
10. Santonio Holmes, Jets receiver
11. Kyle Williams, Bills defensive tackle
12. Brandon Marshall, Dolphins receiver
13. David Harris, Jets inside linebacker
14. Devin McCourty, Patriots cornerback
15. Wes Welker, Patriots receiver
16. Karlos Dansby, Dolphins linebacker
17. Fred Jackson, Bills running back
18. Sebastian Vollmer, Patriots right tackle
19. Steve Johnson, Bills receiver
20. Vontae Davis, Dolphins cornerback
21. Bart Scott, Jets inside linebacker
22. Randy Starks, Dolphins defensive lineman
23. Dustin Keller, Jets tight end
24. Kendall Langford, Dolphins defensive end
25. Rob Gronkowski, Patriots tight end