- James Walker, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
Bills head coach Doug Marrone provided some interesting news on Friday. Not only did the Bills re-sign quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, but Marrone announced Jackson will have a chance to compete for the starting job next season.
"I spoke with Ryan (Fitzpatrick) and Tarvaris and told them we will have an open competition at the quarterback position," Marrone told reporters. "[It’s] similar to what we will do at all positions on our team heading into our offseason work."
This news could mean a lot or not much. It all depends on what Buffalo does with its quarterback position going forward.
If Buffalo sticks with Jackson and Fitzpatrick as its two competing quarterbacks, that probably does nothing to re-energize Buffalo's disappointed fan base. Both are under contract, and this competition would feel eerily similar to the failed Chan Gailey era.
But the Bills still have options. For starters, they could cut Fitzpatrick before his $3 million roster bonus is due in March. Buffalo also can go after another quarterback, particularly in the draft. Possible options include Syracuse's Ryan Nassib and Mike Glennon of N.C. State. The Bills have done heavy scouting on both quarterbacks, and any top pick added to the group should immediately compete in Buffalo.
What we do know is Jackson, who didn’t play at all last year, will be in the mix in Buffalo.
But here's what we don't know: Who will be Jackson's quarterback competition?