Take your pick: Belichick or Polian?
November, 12, 2009
By Tim Graham | ESPN.com
|Kirby Lee/Image of Sport/US Presswire; Christopher Hanewinckel/US Presswire|
|Who would you rather have running your team: Bill Polian or Bill Belichick?|
The running debate every time the New England Patriots play the Indianapolis Colts centers on the two great quarterbacks of this generation and which one you'd rather have to run your offense.
But what about the bigger picture?
Sunday's game in Lucas Oil Stadium also will be a rematch of organizational masterminds bound for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Colts president Bill Polian are among the all-time best franchise managers.
If given a choice between the two, which would you rather have running your club?
Here are some notes to help you decide:
- 15 seasons as head coach (Cleveland Browns, Patriots)
- Regular-season record: 159-92 (.633)
- Regular-season record minus start-up seasons: 148-71 (.676)
- Playoff record: 27-12 (.692)
- Four Super Bowls (not counting three as New York Giants and Patriots defensive coordinator)
- Three championships (not counting two as Giants defensive coordinator)
- Five division titles
- Key moves: Opted to stick with Tom Brady over Drew Bledsoe. ... Traded for Corey Dillon, Randy Moss and Wes Welker. ... First-round draft picks include defensive lineman Richard Seymour, defensive end Ty Warren, nose tackle Vince Wilfork, guard Logan Mankins, running back Laurence Maroney, safety Brandon Meriweather and linebacker Jerod Mayo. ... Has replaced numerous coordinators in New England.
- 22 seasons as general manager or president (Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Colts)
- Regular-season record: 222-137 (.618)
- Regular-season record minus start-up seasons: 207-89 (.699)
- Playoff record: 16-14 (.533)
- Four Super Bowls
- One championship
- 11 division titles
- Key moves: Hired head coaches Marv Levy in Buffalo and Tony Dungy in Indianapolis. ... Drafted Hall of Fame running back Thurman Thomas in the second round. ... Traded for Cornelius Bennett. ... Drafted quarterback Peyton Manning first overall, wide receiver Reggie Wayne, defensive end Dwight Freeney and safety Bob Sanders.