- Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Chris Ivory is getting closer. No, really, he is. That's what he says, anyway.
Ivory, in pads on Sunday, increased his workload slightly, participating in positional drills. The next step is getting some work in live team drills.
Ivory, acquired in a trade with the Saints, said he has gone two days without tightness in his hamstring. But he's proceeding with caution.
"I'm getting better," he said. "I'm just going along with the plan."
"You kind of have a MASH unit over there right now, but you hope to get them back and certainly we hope to get those guys back sooner than later," coach Rex Ryan said.
JOHN B GONE: Tough business, the NFL. Two days after suffering a season-ending broken leg, RB John Griffin was waived with an injury. Chances are, the Jets will add him to their injured-reserve list when he clears waivers. Griffin was hurt on a horse-collar tackle in the preseason opener.
NEW-LOOK QB: Mark Sanchez, channeling some Joe Namath, is sporting a fu manchu.
PENALTY PALS: Ryan said the "highest priority" this week is fixing the penalty problem, as the Jets were penalized 11 times against the Lions. They had four holding calls on offense, prompting an emphasis on blocking technique in Sunday's practice. OL coach Mike Devlin stressed proper hand placement.
The guilty parties:
• LT Oday Aboushi -- holding, false start, illegal use of hands (declined);
• RG Willie Colon -- holding, false start;
• LG Stephen Peterman -- holding;
• LG Vladimir Ducasse -- holding;
• WR Braylon Edwards -- pass interfence;
• LB Antwan Barnes -- two offsides (one declined);
• LB Garrett McIntyre -- illegal block on special teams.