Tuesday, June 22, 2010
All AFC East squads make under-25 roster
The latest edition of Sporting News features New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez and cornerback Darrelle Revis on the cover to represent the magazine's "25 Under 25" list for 2010.
Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby tops the list. My first reaction was "I can't believe he's still under 25." Crosby has played six seasons already but won't turn 23 until August.
Revis is No. 9 on the list. Sanchez is No. 16. The Detroit Lions have the only other teammates of any sport on the list. Defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh is No. 14, and receiver Calvin Johnson is No. 24.
Astonishingly, Washington Nationals phenom Stephen Strasburg didn't make the cut, but does appear on a list of the top 10 to watch for next year.
Sanchez and Revis also are the only AFC East players on the list, which includes a total of seven NFL players and one college football player.
Each AFC East team was represented on the under-25 all-pro squad Sporting News assembled. But the Miami Dolphins placed only kicker Dan Carpenter on the squad despite having the division's youngest roster.
Thanks to Boston Globe reporter Shalise Manza Young, who blogged the roster:
- Quarterback: Mark Sanchez, Jets.
- Running backs: Chris Johnson, Titans; Ray Rice, Ravens.
- Receivers: Calvin Johnson, Lions; DeSean Jackson, Eagles.
- Tight end: Jermichael Finley, Packers.
- Tackles: Ryan Clady, Broncos; Michael Oher, Ravens.
- Guards: Louis Vasquez, Chargers; Mike Iupati, 49ers.
- Center: Alex Mack, Browns.
- Defensive ends: Kroy Biermann, Falcons; Calais Campbell, Cardinals.
- Defensive tackles: Jason Jones, Titans; Ndamukong Suh, Lions.
- Outside linebacker: Clay Matthews, Packers; Brian Orakpo, Redskins.
- Inside linebacker: Jerod Mayo, Patriots.
- Cornerbacks: Darelle Revis, Jets; Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Cardinals.
- Safety: Jairus Byrd, Bills.