Friday, August 27, 2010
Jets lose Calvin Pace for 'a few weeks'
By Tim Graham
For the second straight year, the New York Jets will open their season minus outside linebacker Calvin Pace.
Jets head coach Rex Ryan revealed Pace will miss the next "few weeks" with a foot injury suffered in Friday night's 16-11 exhibition loss to the Washington Redskins at the new Meadowlands stadium. (You can listen to Ryan's postgame interview here ).
Pace left the locker room with his foot in a walking boot.
"I would expect him to be out a few weeks," Ryan said. "It's unfortunate. I don't know exactly how long he's going to be out, but I think it's safe to say he's going to miss a few weeks."
The regular-season opener is 17 days away. That's a couple weeks. "A few weeks" would mean multiple games.
Pace was suspended for the first four games last year for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs. He still racked up some serious numbers for the league's top-rated defense.
Pace recorded 67 tackles and led the team in three categories: eight sacks, 13 tackles for losses, three forced fumbles. His 16 quarterback hits were second to Shaun Ellis' 18.
The Jets, however, have a pretty decent backup.
Ryan said Jason Taylor go from pass-rush specialist to an every-down outside linebacker in Pace's place. Taylor is a six-time Pro Bowler with 127.5 career sacks. Taylor tied for second on the Miami Dolphins last year with seven sacks.