Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Week 1 power rankings: AFC East
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham
The Week 1 edition of ESPN.com's NFL Power Rankings is out.
Here is how the AFC East gets slotted in the latest rankings, drawn up by ESPN senior writers John Clayton and Jeffri Chadiha, AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky and NFC West blogger Mike Sando.
No. 2 New England Patriots
No. 16 Miami Dolphins
- Preseason rating: No. 2
- Best rating: No. 2
- Worst rating: No. 3 (Clayton)
- Note: Clayton inched the San Diego Chargers ahead of the Patriots in his latest rankings. Each of the other voters kept them at No. 2.
No. 21 Buffalo Bills
- Preseason rating: No. 15
- Best rating: No. 11 (Chadiha)
- Worst rating: No. 19 (Clayton)
- Note: The eight-spot disparity between the best and worst ratings was the fourth-widest behind a three-way tie for first. The Minnesota Vikings, Carolina Panthers and Green Bay Packers each had a 10-spot gap.
No. 23 New York Jets
- Preseason rating: No. 21
- Best rating: No. 21 (Chadiha)
- Worst rating: No. 23 (Kuharsky, Sando)
- Note: Given their offensive turmoil, Clayton dropped his ranking from 18th to 22nd. But it wasn't enough to alter the average placement, keeping the Bills right where they were in the preseason poll.
- Preseason rating: No. 23
- Best rating: No. 21 (Kuharsky)
- Worst rating: No. 26 (Chadiha)
- Note: The Jets improved slightly in their rankings per voter, but not enough to nudge them off their preseason slot.