Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Patriots on clock in AFC East reader mock
With the 16th pick in the 2011 AFC East reader mock draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select ... Aldon Smith, defensive end, Missouri.
At the halfway point of our mock project, Smith emerged as the Jaguars' pick in the tightest vote so far.
Reader mjukes7 called it:
"It seems a pretty safe bet that a DE will be selected here...just depends on which one they like best. Realistically, at this point in our mock draft, it could be any of Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, JJ Watt, or Cameron Jordan. Because he is generally regarded as the higher ranked DE I am tempted to say JJ Watt...but I think they want more of a speed rusher so I will go with ALDON SMITH."
Smith edged Wisconsin defensive end J.J. Watt by one vote and California defensive end Cameron Jordan by two votes. Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan was the only other candidate to get a vote when I tallied them Tuesday predawn.
But readers probably don't care as much about the Jaguars' vote than they do the fact the New England Patriots are next.
Let's review the first 16 picks ...
- Carolina Panthers: Auburn quarterback Cam Newton
- Denver Broncos: Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus
- Buffalo Bills: Texas A&M outside linebacker Von Miller
- Cincinnati Bengals: Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert
- Arizona Cardinals: Louisiana State cornerback Patrick Peterson
- Cleveland Browns: Georgia receiver A.J. Green
- San Francisco 49ers: Nebraska cornerback Prince Amukamara
- Tennessee Titans: Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley
- Dallas Cowboys: USC tackle Tyron Smith
- Washington Redskins: Alabama receiver Julio Jones
- Houston Texans: North Carolina defensive end Robert Quinn
- Minnesota Vikings: Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers
- Detroit Lions: Boston College tackle Anthony Castonzo
- St. Louis Rams: Illinois defensive tackle Corey Liuget
- Miami Dolphins: Alabama running back Mark Ingram
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Missouri defensive end Aldon Smith
The Patriots are on the clock with the pick they acquired from the Oakland Raiders for Richard Seymour.
Please post your vote in the comments section below this article or beneath the link on my Facebook page.
If you need to research the pick beforehand, then feel free to browse ESPN.com's NFL draft page, with analysis from Mel Kiper, Todd McShay and the crew at Scouts Inc.