Tuesday, July 5, 2011
AFC East's best: No. 14 Devin McCourty
The countdown of my top 25 AFC East players continues, one weekday at a time ...
About the choice: The New England Patriots nailed last year's first-round pick when they took Devin McCourty 27th overall. He was voted second-team All-Pro and started opposite Darrelle Revis in the Pro Bowl. McCourty started every game, the last 14 (including the playoffs) at left cornerback. He tied for second in the NFL with seven interceptions. He finished fourth on the team with 83 tackles, not counting the 12 he added on special teams. He recorded a sack and two forced fumbles.
Key fact: McCourty tied Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed and New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas for the NFL lead with nine combined interceptions and forced fumbles.
Hint about No. 13: He's the first of three players from his college in my top 25 list.
- 15: Wes Welker, Patriots receiver
- 16. Karlos Dansby, Dolphins linebacker
- 17. Fred Jackson, Bills running back
- 18. Sebastian Vollmer, Patriots right tackle
- 19. Steve Johnson, Bills receiver
- 20. Vontae Davis, Dolphins cornerback
- 21. Bart Scott, Jets inside linebacker
- 22. Randy Starks, Dolphins defensive lineman
- 23. Dustin Keller, Jets tight end
- 24. Kendall Langford, Dolphins defensive end
- 25. Rob Gronkowski, Patriots tight end