Tuesday, July 12, 2011
East's best: No. 9 D'Brickashaw Ferguson
The countdown of my top 25 AFC East players continues, one weekday at a time ...
Blogger's note: An error was made on Friday's blog regarding the hint for No. 10. I inadvertently printed a hint for the Ferguson selection ("He's the only player remaining on the list who plays the same position as someone rated higher"). That means No. 10 Santonio Holmes is the highest-rated receiver on the list. I'm sorry for the confusion.
About the choice: D'Brickashaw Ferguson made his second straight Pro Bowl after another fine season as the New York Jets' left tackle. STATS Inc. faulted Ferguson for only two sacks last season (even with pedestrian left guard Matt Slauson next to him), and zero sacks over seven career playoff games. Ferguson was flagged for holding twice. The Jets had the NFL's most prolific ground game in 2009. Last year, they ranked fourth in average rushing yards per game and tied for eighth in yards per carry.
Key fact: Despite having an inexperienced Slauson at left guard, ESPN Stats & Information data had the Jets averaging 5.2 yards a carry to the left side.
Hint about No. 8: Among the entire top 25 list, five players were the lone representatives at their positions. No. 8 is one of them.
- 10. Santonio Holmes, Jets receiver
- 11. Kyle Williams, Bills defensive tackle
- 12. Brandon Marshall, Dolphins receiver
- 13. David Harris, Jets inside linebacker
- 14. Devin McCourty, Patriots cornerback
- 15. Wes Welker, Patriots receiver
- 16. Karlos Dansby, Dolphins linebacker
- 17. Fred Jackson, Bills running back
- 18. Sebastian Vollmer, Patriots right tackle
- 19. Steve Johnson, Bills receiver
- 20. Vontae Davis, Dolphins cornerback
- 21. Bart Scott, Jets inside linebacker
- 22. Randy Starks, Dolphins defensive lineman
- 23. Dustin Keller, Jets tight end
- 24. Kendall Langford, Dolphins defensive end
- 25. Rob Gronkowski, Patriots tight end