Wednesday, July 20, 2011
AFC East's best: No. 3 Jake Long
The countdown of my top 25 AFC East players continues, one weekday at a time ...
About the choice: Jake Long has lived up to the expectations of being the No. 1 overall pick of the 2008 draft. The Miami Dolphins' left tackle has been selected to the Pro Bowl each of his three NFL seasons and was voted first-team All-Pro last season. Long played with an injured shoulder that hindered his effectiveness for the final seven games. STATS Inc. had him down for six sacks and eight penalties (both career-highs), but he has been the sentry on an offensive line the Dolphins have over-tinkered with since he joined the club.
Key fact: Long is one of only three players since the NFL-AFL merger to be drafted first overall and chosen for the Pro Bowl his first three seasons. The others are running backs Earl Campbell and Billy Sims. Campbell is the only one to make four straight.
Hint about No. 2: It's either Darrelle Revis or Tom Brady.
- 4. Vince Wilfork, Patriots nose tackle
- 5. Nick Mangold, Jets center
- 6. Logan Mankins, Patriots left guard
- 7. Jerod Mayo, Patriots inside linebacker
- 8. Cameron Wake, Dolphins outside linebacker
- 9. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jets left tackle
- 10. Santonio Holmes, Jets receiver
- 11. Kyle Williams, Bills defensive tackle
- 12. Brandon Marshall, Dolphins receiver
- 13. David Harris, Jets inside linebacker
- 14. Devin McCourty, Patriots cornerback
- 15. Wes Welker, Patriots receiver
- 16. Karlos Dansby, Dolphins linebacker
- 17. Fred Jackson, Bills running back
- 18. Sebastian Vollmer, Patriots right tackle
- 19. Steve Johnson, Bills receiver
- 20. Vontae Davis, Dolphins cornerback
- 21. Bart Scott, Jets inside linebacker
- 22. Randy Starks, Dolphins defensive lineman
- 23. Dustin Keller, Jets tight end
- 24. Kendall Langford, Dolphins defensive end
- 25. Rob Gronkowski, Patriots tight end