Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Week 5 power rankings: AFC East
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham
ESPN.com's Week 5 power rankings are out, and I don't know if I understand how they work anymore.
The New York Jets somehow climbed a spot despite losing to the New Orleans Saints, and the Buffalo Bills dropped only two spots for getting vaporized by a team that was three spots beneath them in last week's rankings.
Here is how the AFC East breaks down in the latest rankings, drawn up by ESPN senior writers John Clayton and Jeffri Chadiha, AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky and NFC West blogger Mike Sando.
No. 5 New York Jets
No. 6 New England Patriots
- Last week's rating: No. 6
- Best rating: No. 5 (Chadiha, Sando, Kuharsky)
- Worst rating: No. 6 (Clayton)
- Note: A loss to the fourth-ranked Saints didn't hurt them at all. In fact, it nudged the Jets upward. The Jets' defense looked impressive, and a lot of the blame could be hung on the poor decisions of one player, rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez, but pulling within one spot of a team that beat them by two touchdowns seems peculiar to me.
No. 21 Miami Dolphins
- Last week's rating: No. 7
- Best rating: No. 6 (Chadiha, Kuharsky, Sando)
- Worst rating: No. 7 (Clayton)
- Note: The Patriots dropped to 10th after their Week 2 loss to the Jets, but are back among the top three teams in the AFC after back-to-back victories over the Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens.
No. 23 Buffalo Bills
- Last week's rating: No. 24
- Best rating: No. 21 (Chadiha, Sando)
- Worst rating: No. 22 (Clayton, Kuharsky)
- Note: The Dolphins were better than their 0-3 record suggested, and their first victory must've encouraged the voters to bump them into the middle third of the rankings. Granted, the Dolphins pillaged the Bills, but it's a mark in the W column.
- Last week's rating: No. 21
- Best rating: No. 22 (Chadiha, Sando)
- Worst rating: No. 24 (Clayton, Kuharsky)
- Note: This one is a head-scratcher to me. The Bills finally slipped from the No. 21 spot they've held in every edition of the power rankings since May. But I can't believe they dropped only two spots after that pathetic display against a team that was ranked three slots beneath them last week.