Tuesday, August 13, 2013
Bills morning notes: Powell a lock at punter
By Mike Rodak
The Buffalo Bills are back on the practice field Tuesday morning.
Here are some morning news and notes:
- The Bills released punter Brian Stahovich on Tuesday morning, essentially locking in Shawn Powell for the job. Stahovich had been signed in April to compete with Powell, who replaced long-time punter Brian Moorman last season.
- With cornerback Leodis McKelvin (groin) and Justin Rogers (hamstring) remaining out of practice Monday, the Bills turned to Crezdon Butler at one of their top cornerback spots in practice. The Bills started Ron Brooks across from Stephon Gilmore on Sunday, but head coach Doug Marrone said the team wants to focus on Brooks playing the slot in their nickel package. Marrone said he is "rotating guys through" and Butler getting first-team reps is "really nothing more than that."
- Tight end Dorin Dickerson, who had a 17-yard touchdown catch in the preseason opener, was not on the practice field Monday due to an ankle injury. Meanwhile, Marrone said wide receiver T.J. Graham and Kourtnei Brown both suffered groin injuries during Monday's practice.
- After starting Sunday's game, Colin Brown continued to take first-team reps at left guard on Monday, WGR 550's Joe Buscaglia reported.
- Wide receiver Kevin Elliott and linebacker Keith Pough were back on the practice field, according Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News. Both missed Sunday's preseason opener with injuries.