AFC East: Philip Merling
October, 8, 2009
By Tim Graham | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham
New England Patriots
- Running back Laurence Maroney tells Boston Globe reporter Christopher L. Gasper about the displeased fans: "I'll take it as my way of saying 'I hear you.' I hear the cries, and I will deliver."
- WEEI.com's Christopher Price notes the Patriots' 22 quarterback hits rank fifth in the NFL.
- Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey fawns over Randy Moss and Tom Brady in a story from Boston Herald reporter Karen Guregian.
- Shalise Manza Young takes a look at how defensive lineman Mike Wright has gone from practice star to impact player on Sundays.
- Brady is unrepentant despite criticism he has been the benefactor of too many roughing calls, Gasper writes.
- Buffalo News metro columnist Donn Esmonde, comparing the Bills to General Motors, writes their "lengthy mediocrity is ultimately not a failure of individual players and coaches, but a consequence of flawed management."
- Buffalo News sports columnist Jerry Sullivan implores the Bills to start unloading: "Don't tell me you can't make trades in the NFL. The Browns just traded the No.3 pick in the '05 draft. They're the underdog Sunday, maybe the worst team in the NFL. They're still better off than the Bills."
- Sal Maiorana of the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle takes a look at the Bills' decision to switch Kawika Mitchell to middle linebacker.
- While Bills fans want to serenade Dick Jauron with "Hey, hey, hey, goodbye," Buffalo News reporter Mark Gaughan noted Jauron's players sang happy birthday to him.
- Brian Galliford of BuffaloRumblings.com writes the Bills' must run the ball more than they pass.
- Buffalo Sports Daily's Paul Seebald examines the impact new defensive line coach Bob Sanders has made.
- South Florida Sun-Sentinel columnist Dave Hyde points out the lack of a go-to receiver will hurt Chad Henne's development.
- Miami Herald columnist Armando Salguero scratches his noggin over the Dolphins' refusal or inability to bring in significant help at receiver.
- Carlos Frias of the Palm Beach Post looks into the reasons why Ted Ginn had only three passes thrown to him Sunday.
- Joey Porter, Akin Ayodele and Phillip Merling all were back at practice Thursday, Edgar Thompson from the Palm Beach Post reports.
- Miami Herald reporter Jeff Darlington takes a look at how the Dolphins' game plan might change -- or not -- now that the Jets have Braylon Edwards.
- New York Daily News columnist Gary Myers compares the Braylon Edwards acquisition to the Patriots bringing aboard Randy Moss.
- Newsday's Bob Glauber writes: "With his history of misbehaving ... the Jets have taken a calculated risk that Edwards will be worth the trouble."
- CBSSports.com's Clark Judge wonders which version of Edwards the Jets will get, the one from 2007, or the one who angered Browns fans.
- New York Post columnist Steve Serby likes the trade because of the player's potential and for the message it sends within the organization and to Jets fans.
- Amid the Edwards hoopla, Newark Star-Ledger reporter Manish Mehta takes a look at how Mark Sanchez intends to bounce back from an awful game.