Ravens Camp Report: Day 13
August, 10, 2014
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Baltimore Ravens training camp:
- Joe Flacco had one of his roughest days of camp, throwing late and high on many of his passes. It got so bad that Flacco cursed at himself. Flacco later was picked off by 49ers' rookie fourth-round pick Dontae Johnson, who returned the interception for a touchdown.
- Wide receiver Michael Campanaro stood out with his shifty route-running over the middle. The rookie seventh-round pick even earned a handshake from coach John Harbaugh after one catch. Campanaro continues to show flashes as slot receiver. The question is whether he can stay healthy.
- Another rookie who drew attention was third-round pick Terrence Brooks. Buried on the depth chart for most of camp, Brooks received time with the first-team defense. Injuries to Lardarius Webb (back) and Asa Jackson (ankle) prompted the Ravens to move safety Darian Stewart to nickelback and promote Brooks to starting free safety. Brooks also got a few snaps at nickelback. He is fast but he's still learning the defense.
- Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak was criticized in Houston for not throwing to the end zone when the Texans reached the red zone. That trend has carried over to the Ravens. It's hard to remember a time in camp when the Ravens haven't throw underneath during red zone drills.
- The Ravens didn't fare well in one-on-one pass blocking drills between their running backs and tight ends against the 49ers linebackers. Kyle Juszczyk, Lorenzo Taliaferro and Owen Daniels were the only ones to hold their own for the Ravens. Bernard Pierce got beat on his first two tries and then was briefly shaken up after his third attempt to block.
- Ravens left tackle Eugene Monroe did a solid job against 49ers pass-rusher Aldon Smith. Monroe had struggled at times in going against Terrell Suggs during camp.
- Schedule: The Ravens hold their third and final joint practice with the San Francisco 49ers at 10:30 a.m. ET Monday. The players get a day off Tuesday.
- Injury wire: Defensive end Kapron Lewis-Moore (Achilles) likely suffered a season-ending injury during practice. ... Cornerback Asa Jackson had to be helped off the field with a "minor" ankle injury, according to Harbaugh. ... Tight end Dennis Pitta missed practice but did come out on the field to watch. "He had a little tweak, and I decided to hold him back and get with a trainer," Harbaugh said. ... Cornerback Lardarius Webb (back) missed his 11th straight practice. He last practiced July 25. ... Guard Will Rackley (head), guard Ryan Jensen (ankle) and safety Brynden Trawick (back) also didn't practice. ... Nose tackle Terrence Cody (hip) is on the physically unable to perform list. ... Defensive end Brent Urban (torn ACL) is out for the season.