Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Notes from Ravens practice
By James Walker
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens continue their final week of training camp in preparation for Friday's preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs.
Here are some notes and observations from Tuesday's practice:
- It was "Veterans Day" for the Ravens. Many tenured vets and star players such as Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, Ray Rice and Anquan Boldin were given the day off. All of these vets should be fresh for the last full practice of the week Wednesday leading up to Friday's game.
- There were several standout plays Tuesday. Baltimore rookie receiver Tandon Doss made a great leaping catch over fellow rookie safety Josh Victorian. Ravens safety Haruki Nakamura also picked off quarterback Joe Flacco in team drills and had a long return. Nakamura might have scored if not for a late fumble, which forced Nakamura to fall on the ball.
- Baltimore rookie right tackle Jah Reid continues to get a look with the first team. Reid has good size and strength but looks raw with his footwork. More game experience against Kansas City should help with Reid's development.
- I thought Baltimore rookie receiver Torrey Smith had his best practice of the week. Smith practiced fast and made several nice catches. Teammate David Reed, on the other hand, struggled some with a pair of drops.
- Ravens cornerback Domonique Foxworth was limited in practice Monday but did more work in team drills Tuesday. Foxworth is working his way back from season-ending ACL surgery in 2010. Eventually, he will figure into the cornerback mix.