Friday, March 1, 2013
Steelers' top salary-cap numbers
By Jamison Hensley
Not sure if you've heard about this, but the Pittsburgh Steelers have some salary-cap issues once again. Like they've always done, the Steelers have restructured contracts to get under the cap.
Reworking the contracts of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, linebacker Lawrence Timmons and wide receiver Antonio Brown has freed up $14 million in cap room. That should put Pittsburgh a couple of million under the cap.
The Steelers, though, need more space in order to tender contracts to restricted free agents like wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, running backs Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman and nose tackle Steve McLendon as well as sign affordable free agents like wide receiver Steve Breaston. Reworking the deal for linebacker LaMarr Woodley would open up an additional $6 million.
At this point, five players account for 46 percent of the Steelers' 2013 cap.
Here are the current top 10 salary-cap numbers for the Steelers:
1. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, $13.59 million
2. LaMarr Woodley, LB, $13.24 million
3. Troy Polamalu, S, $10.13 million
4. James Harrison, LB, $10.03 million
5. Ike Taylor, CB, $9.45 million
6. Heath Miller, TE, $7.95 million
7. Willie Colon, OL, $7.65 million
8. Lawrence Timmons, LB, $5.81 million
9. Brett Keisel, DE, $4.9 million
10. Ryan Clark, S, $4.75 million